Can you grow acros in a new tank?

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have here a 68 day old 40gallon breeder started with dry rock and dry sand. I have an acro doing really well imo in here. Been in here for 2 weeks now. I believe that if you can't grow algae you can't grow coral. How many other people think they could set up an aqurium and grow an acro in a couple months?

This tank cost me less than 500 dollars to set up as well.
C396351D-B6C9-4B09-8D5C-4ABC5F804B8F.jpeg

DC720856-4DCA-42CA-8135-95B3EEE72157.jpeg
B6A1C338-3FA1-4069-9E62-8EBB4A472E4C.jpeg
F798677B-BE36-4280-8595-3E5CDC8A6910.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have here a 68 day old 40gallon breeder started with dry rock and dry sand. I have an acro doing really well imo in here. Been in here for 2 weeks now. I believe that if you can't grow algae you can't grow coral. How many other people think they could set up an aqurium and grow an acro in a couple months?

That green hair algae is quite long... but know in a new tank perhaps that is just a few days growth. This is the scrub tool we built because tooth brush is too soft and scrub brush is too big, so used an exacto knife to cut off scrub brush bristles, stick them in the end of tube, super glue them in - voila - little scrub brush.

When doing water changes, I take out the rocks, scrub then rinse in tank water I was tossing out anyhow, then add cleaned rock back to aquarium.

Green hair algae at that level IS helping with your nitrate and phosphate control...

algae scrub tools.JPG

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That green hair algae is quite long... but know in a new tank perhaps that is just a few days growth. This is the scrub tool we built because tooth brush is too soft and scrub brush is too big, so used an exacto knife to cut off scrub brush bristles, stick them in the end of tube, super glue them in - voila - little scrub brush.

When doing water changes, I take out the rocks, scrub then rinse in tank water I was tossing out anyhow, then add cleaned rock back to aquarium.

Green hair algae at that level IS helping with your nitrate and phosphate control...

algae scrub tools.JPG
Yep. I don't look at this tank so the algae doesn't bother me. It's an easy removal if I needed to but I don't touch my tanks unless I have to. This one is just a grow out mostly. I kind of like the way the algae looks too though. It won't be around for long. Theres a cuc working and growing already.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This much algae will eventually suffocate your corals and kill them. You may have the acro growing but it probably won't show it's true color and eventually just die. Sorry to be blunt but that's the reality.
It won't. But I appreciate the heads up.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can acro in new tank? Sure. Does it mean your tank will succeed? We can't really say bc there are too many uncontrollable variables. . Acro need stability both in Chemistry and biology. New tanks will have a hard time maintaining the measurable chemistry, and you'll really have no way of knowing if the immeasurable chemistry or if the biology is stable. Outcome will more luck of the draw than your efforts.

The "insta-tanks" that BRS set up are more about moving large numbers of colonies and frags from established tanks so effectively they are moving an entire "balanced system" with the establised microbiology that is transfered on the surface of the corals to the new tank. The large initial quantity of coral will be also offer an effective competition against algae for nutrient stability. Thats very different from moving 1 frag into a new tank with pearly white dry rocks. 2 weeks is also a bit short to see if its thriving or not. Take a before/after shot after 1 to 2 months to see progress (assume it survives that long). A good condition should result in very noticeable new head/branches and new length (up to 1/2 inch)

Good luck

Also, remember your high-school truth tables - "if you can't grow algae your can't grow coral" is not valid reason that just because there's algae, its suitable for coral to grow: "if not p, then not q", is not the same as "if p then q"

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can acro in new tank? Sure. Does it mean your tank will succeed? We can't really say bc there are too many uncontrollable variables. . Acro need stability both in Chemistry and biology. New tanks will have a hard time maintaining the measurable chemistry, and you'll really have no way of knowing if the immeasurable chemistry or if the biology is stable. Outcome will more luck of the draw than your efforts.

The "insta-tanks" that BRS set up are more about moving large numbers of colonies and frags from established tanks so effectively they are moving an entire "balanced system" with the establised microbiology that is transfered on the surface of the corals to the new tank. The large initial quantity of coral will be also offer an effective competition against algae for nutrient stability. Thats very different from moving 1 frag into a new tank with pearly white dry rocks. 2 weeks is also a bit short to see if its thriving or not. Take a before/after shot after 1 to 2 months to see progress (assume it survives that long). A good condition should result in very noticeable new head/branches and new length (up to 1/2 inch)

Good luck

Also, remember your high-school truth tables - "if you can't grow algae your can't grow coral" is not valid reason that just because there's algae, its suitable for coral to grow: "if not p, then not q", is not the same as "if p then q"
I appreciate your insight. I honestly wouldn't be sharing this if I didn't know how this tank would turn out in the long run. This is not my first time doing this and not even my second time.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an actual question or are you jsut trying to prove that because you’ve had an acro in here for two weeks that you’ve unlocked the secret to acros in new tanks?
I don't have any secrets. I would like to know how many other people could do this as well. That's all. Do you beleive you could?

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 8 months old and I have a couple acro frags that are growing well, not just “not dying”. I got my first acro frag when the tank was probably half as old as it is now and it did not survive.

Despite meticulous testing my tank still went through swings as it matured and the biodiversity increased. This was while I kept dosing and feeding as consistent as possible.

Can you be successful with acros in a new tank? Sure, people on here do it but they tend to be very experienced reefers and aren’t always starting from brand new dry rock and sand.

The other really important factor is balancing other things in the tank. I would imagine the vast majority of people on here don’t want giant carpets of hair algae in their tank. As they try and fix that problem it creates changes and conditions inhospitable to acros. As your hair algae starts to disappear due to the CUC as you note it is, I’d be very curious how well your acro continues to do. That huge nutrient sponge of algae could be gone and then nutrients are less controlled.

Not at all saying you won’t be successful, I’m just curious to see how this plays out.

I sincerely wish you luck. Seeing my acros re-color and show noticeable growth has been one of the more proud moment of my journey with this tank.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 8 months old and I have a couple acro frags that are growing well, not just “not dying”. I got my first acro frag when the tank was probably half as old as it is now and it did not survive.

Despite meticulous testing my tank still went through swings as it matured and the biodiversity increased. This was while I kept dosing and feeding as consistent as possible.

Can you be successful with acros in a new tank? Sure, people on here do it but they tend to be very experienced reefers and aren’t always starting from brand new dry rock and sand.

The other really important factor is balancing other things in the tank. I would imagine the vast majority of people on here don’t want giant carpets of hair algae in their tank. As they try and fix that problem it creates changes and conditions inhospitable to acros. As your hair algae starts to disappear due to the CUC as you note it is, I’d be very curious how well your acro continues to do. That huge nutrient sponge of algae could be gone and then nutrients are less controlled.

Not at all saying you won’t be successful, I’m just curious to see how this plays out.

I sincerely wish you luck. Seeing my acros re-color and show noticeable growth has been one of the more proud moment of my journey with this tank.
It really is a good feeling. I'm not even a hard core acro lover but there's definitely something special about watching them grow. Might scrub some algae out tomorrow if I'm bored. Thanks for the kind words and I wish you continued success as well.

OP
OP
HomebroodExotics

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scraped the glass and netted out some of the loose algae. There was a bunch of loose algae on the acro but it just sloughed off eventually. It's got polyps out and looking happy as usual.

My question still stands as well. I want to learn more from people who are able and who have demonstrated that a tank can be quickly started up especially from dry rock and sand. What's holding back the typical reefer from doing this? I have my own theories and processes, what's yours? Happy reefing.
811C0344-8F5F-48B8-926F-CC32AF613F69.jpeg

AC186ABD-1014-4268-85AF-7630335FC708.jpeg
7F2DBAB8-2B58-4F2E-8F34-D25CC74D48FF.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scraped the glass and netted out some of the loose algae. There was a bunch of loose algae on the acro but it just sloughed off eventually. It's got polyps out and looking happy as usual.

My question still stands as well. I want to learn more from people who are able and who have demonstrated that a tank can be quickly started up especially from dry rock and sand. What's holding back the typical reefer from doing this? I have my own theories and processes, what's yours? Happy reefing.
811C0344-8F5F-48B8-926F-CC32AF613F69.jpeg

AC186ABD-1014-4268-85AF-7630335FC708.jpeg
7F2DBAB8-2B58-4F2E-8F34-D25CC74D48FF.jpeg

Regarding your question.... New hobbyists don't know how to keep those water parameters stable (as well as of host of other things they are learning). Time and patience are the magic in this hobby.

Experienced reefers know how to adjust for this, but they know things get better even as they adjust those new tanks for optimum performance.

There is an ASSUMPTION that new tank = new reefer / new hobbyist ... as the zillions of seasoned hobbyists aren't posting each additional new tank they put up.

Also experienced reefers don't normally post hair algae overgrowth photos implying 'look what's working for me' ... because to most people what you are showing above isn't their definition of 'working correctly' ... and some would say it lets new people think that is acceptable and so they try and then more new people are crashing tanks and killing their coral animals (sad).

A friend of mine just crossed the 50 tank line when his family left him home while they traveled back East a couple weeks... grown man/husband/father no longer allowed to be left home alone again... but that is another (hysterical!! story). I lay claim to having TWO tanks, maybe FOUR tanks if I count my picos, but I do not count my cultures as tanks... but my family does... so that would have me at 8 setup right now (with capacity to double that in an afternoon if I could find space...) I share his 50 count tank thread opportunity because while maybe someone out there is doing threads for ALL their tanks once they cross some imaginary line (likely before 60, its the exception.

I don't have any secrets. I would like to know how many other people could do this as well. That's all. Do you beleive you could?

Instead, I think the more important question to most is not COULD but SHOULD... and for a new hobbyist I don't think they should be led to think it is a possibility...

Majority of seasoned people are going to see your hair algae photos and not bother to read what you wrote once someone else responds. They are here trying to help the new people. New people are going to see your hair algae with two week old tank and stick and go... hmmm... already went down that rabbit hole above.

Instead, would you consider using those photos in a build thread where when you have those tiny frag sticks growing in hair algae, then when those sticks have grown into fist size, baseball sized, volleyball sized colonies, show those comparable pictures saying - had experience already, started here but ended up here... power in photos.

Looking forward to seeing your successful coral colonies!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can grow acros in a new tank if it was setup correctly from day one. Look at my nano build as its exactly what I did.

I would never put any corals in that system until the algae is gone but thats me. Its way easier to deal with when your tank has no corals in it.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your insight. I honestly wouldn't be sharing this if I didn't know how this tank would turn out in the long run. This is not my first time doing this and not even my second time.

I would suggest that most people in the hobby with a lot of experience would not be so sure of how the tank is going to turn out "in the long run" because they know there are way too many variables...some of which not easily known or controlled. One of those scenarios the more you know then the more you realize how little you know......

You are 2 years into the hobby. Personally I would not call that long enough to see how a tank turns out in the long run yet alone to have seen multiple tanks through to "the long run"

In any case I am not arguing against the possibility of growing acros in a new tank with dry rock successfully. I have done it and am sure I will again. I also don't think it is the best approach...and certainly not an approach to advertise as being "certain"...as results in this hobby are far from guaranteed in the best of conditions.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think the quick answer to the question is yes, you can grow acro in a young tank. It takes being meticulous. I won't comment on the algae since you believe it is fine and probably have more experience than me. I've been at this for just over a year. I did have success with sps just two weeks into my tank, but not sure if monti caps or a branching psamacora count.

On a side note, this is literally the best video on nutrients I've ever seen on YouTube. His diagram at 3mins in is amazing.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmm, click bait thread.
Of coarse you can and I can.
This thread shows new reefers the wrong way to do things just to say you did it.
Everyone should just pass on by. Nothing to see here.
IMO.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back