Can you have inverts in a fallow?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some research before setting up a new tank as I want to quarentene everything this time around.

I want to have a fallow period before adding any fish to the tank my question however is will it still be effective at starving out disease if their are inverts like shrimp, snails and hermit crabs in the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all above. If going 76, why not stretch it a little longer? Can QT fish while you wait out the fallow period. Just remember that anything “wet” going in resets the ticker back to day zero.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all above. If going 76, why not stretch it a little longer? Can QT fish while you wait out the fallow period. Just remember that anything “wet” going in resets the ticker back to day zero.
By anything wet I assume natural seawater does not count? (It's cheaper for me to get NSW than mix my own salt and I have never had a problem with my provider)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By anything wet I assume natural seawater does not count? (It's cheaper for me to get NSW than mix my own salt and I have never had a problem with my provider)
NSW will contain all kinds of microbes. I want to say that a fallow period won’t be necessary actually. Not that NSW is bad - I use it - but if you’re looking to contain everything to a spotless tank, you should use RODI/salt mix water.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSW will contain all kinds of microbes. I want to say that a fallow period won’t be necessary actually. Not that NSW is bad - I use it - but if you’re looking to contain everything to a spotless tank, you should use RODI/salt mix water.
So if I want to avoid ich and velvet being in the tank I can't use NSW?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I want to avoid ich and velvet being in the tank I can't use NSW?
If you want to avoid it completely, yes. Ich, velvet, brook, flukes, uronema and many others, all come from the ocean. Fish live with these parasites in the wild because parasites have predators as well. So fish aren’t immune in the wild but can coexist. In our home tanks, we cant provide that same environment.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to avoid it completely, yes. Ich, velvet, brook, flukes, uronema and many others, all come from the ocean. Fish live with these parasites in the wild because parasites have predators as well. So fish aren’t immune in the wild but can coexist. In our home tanks, we cant provide that same environment.
....... **** Thanks for being honest though.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....... **** Thanks for being honest though.
I use NSW. I probably have these parasites in my tank. But I probably also have the natural predators of them as well. I’ve seen spots on my fish before. But the spots went away and haven’t seen them since.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for fallow period if using NSW. You can't maintain a disease free tank with NSW.
Correct. There are plenty of people that maintain a successful reef like Paul B without the use of QT.

The difference between the ocean and our tanks is the concentration of free swimming parasites in a closed system can increase very quickly. In the ocean a fish gets a parasite here or there, the oceans trillions of gallons reduce the chance of reinfection significantly compared to a fish trapped in a tank with cycling parasites. Some people who use NSW also run additional equipment like UV, diatom, etc to control the free swimming population. The type of fish you desire to keep may also help one choose which route to take as some fish are much more resistant to parasites than others.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for fallow period if using NSW. You can't maintain a disease free tank with NSW.

Correct. There are plenty of people that maintain a successful reef like Paul B without the use of QT.

The difference between the ocean and our tanks is the concentration of free swimming parasites in a closed system can increase very quickly. In the ocean a fish gets a parasite here or there, the oceans trillions of gallons reduce the chance of reinfection significantly compared to a fish trapped in a tank with cycling parasites. Some people who use NSW also run additional equipment like UV, diatom, etc to control the free swimming population. The type of fish you desire to keep may also help one choose which route to take as some fish are much more resistant to parasites than others.
Well said. If you go the NSW route, I think it’s hit or miss to be honest. It’s a heated topic and there’s lots of debate. But like @HotRocks said, if you want a disease-free environment, it’s best to make your own water.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said. If you go the NSW route, I think it’s hit or miss to be honest. It’s a heated topic and there’s lots of debate. But like @HotRocks said, if you want a disease-free environment, it’s best to make your own water.
Sure there will always be debate. I try not to be one sided. I'm obviously at the far end since I prophylactically treat all of my fish and hold all corals and inverts fallow in a separate system before DT introduction.

For me, I keep many fish that aren't resistant to parasites like acanthurus tangs etc. I also like the assurance of knowing that if I have a power outage or a heater stop working etc I don't have to worry about a possible outbreak. That's just me. There are always several ways to do something in this hobby. My way definitely isn't the only, but if someone desires to repeat it I'm here to help! :)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure there will always be debate. I try not to be one sided. I'm obviously at the far end since I prophylactically treat all of my fish and hold all corals and inverts fallow in a separate system before DT introduction.

For me, I keep many fish that aren't resistant to parasites like acanthurus tangs etc. I also like the assurance of knowing that if I have a power outage or a heater stop working etc I don't have to worry about a possible outbreak. That's just me. There are always several ways to do something in this hobby. My way definitely isn't the only, but if someone desires to repeat it I'm here to help! :)
There’s nothing wrong with your way at all. It’s peace of mind and assurance. I actually think it’s the best route to go to be honest. Although I don't practice it, I know it ensures your fish won’t get sick.

Matt F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been in fallow period for about 50 days or so if I added coral to the tank would that reset it? If so what things can do it can my hand in the tank to clean glass, feed coral with turkey baster will any of these reset it?

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been in fallow period for about 50 days or so if I added coral to the tank would that reset it? If so what things can do it can my hand in the tank to clean glass, feed coral with turkey baster will any of these reset it?
Correct if you add something you restart the clock.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back