Can you have too much sponge?

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I posted a picture of something growing in my 75 gallon tank. Everyone that posted a reply came to the conclusion that what I have is a sponge of some kind. Ok...no big deal. Fast forward to today. I now have these things growing everywhere! I had to clean out my skimmer the other day because one had grown into the pipe regulating the water level and was causing a problem. They are definitely out of control in their proliferation, not only in my sump, but in the tank as well.

I've been pulling it out when I clean my tank. But that's getting old, and I can't seem to keep up with it. Does anyone have any suggestion of what to do? It's getting ridiculous how much is in my tank! It is growing on my rocks and in the substrate. Is there some kind of critter I can get that would eat the sponge? Is there an additive I could use to kill it all off? (Btw, I would HATE to have to add any additive to my tank; but I'm getting desperate!)

Thanks for any advice offered.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I posted a picture of something growing in my 75 gallon tank. Everyone that posted a reply came to the conclusion that what I have is a sponge of some kind. Ok...no big deal. Fast forward to today. I now have these things growing everywhere! I had to clean out my skimmer the other day because one had grown into the pipe regulating the water level and was causing a problem. They are definitely out of control in their proliferation, not only in my sump, but in the tank as well.

I've been pulling it out when I clean my tank. But that's getting old, and I can't seem to keep up with it. Does anyone have any suggestion of what to do? It's getting ridiculous how much is in my tank! It is growing on my rocks and in the substrate. Is there some kind of critter I can get that would eat the sponge? Is there an additive I could use to kill it all off? (Btw, I would HATE to have to add any additive to my tank; but I'm getting desperate!)

Thanks for any advice offered.
Are they little pineapple shaped sponges?

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us pics of this sponge material that is overgrowing your system.
Rare problem to have.
There are animals that like to eat sponges, but they won't keep it out of your pipes.
You might be a good candidate for Silica removal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us pics of this sponge material that is overgrowing your system.
Rare problem to have.
There are animals that like to eat sponges, but they won't keep it out of your pipes.
You might be a good candidate for Silica removal.
This is a piece growing on an old coral skeleton. It shows up pretty well against the red background. There is a lot of this stuff growing in the substrate, which is harder to see on camera.

Attachments

• PXL_20230205_033835088.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230205_033835088.MP.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same sponge absolutely no problems, seems to be dying off after about a year and flow changes. Grows like crazy though but super easy to remove if it rubs up against coral etc.

046EFF18-2E86-448C-9335-286EFA2CA25E.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same sponge absolutely no problems, seems to be dying off after about a year and flow changes. Grows like crazy though but super easy to remove if it rubs up against coral etc.

046EFF18-2E86-448C-9335-286EFA2CA25E.jpeg
You're right about it growing like crazy!

Upvote 0

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right about it growing like crazy!
It definitely does not like flow, if you can increase yours a bit might help get rid of it but I really dont think it does anything bad if anything helps filter stuff out. I have done a few ICPs and others are right about silicates

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely does not like flow, if you can increase yours a bit might help get rid of it but I really dont think it does anything bad if anything helps filter stuff out. I have done a few ICPs and others are right about silicates
Looks like I'll need to test for silicates and see where I stand.

Upvote 0

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was infested with this type of sponge for years before I broke it down. Tried scheduled manual removal, added a rock beauty angel, nothing really worked to eradicate this type of sponge and it will stifle out some corals like zoa colonies if left unabated. I will say that this tends to come on from wild LPS colonies like Lobos, at least that's where my infestation came from.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal (my recommendation would be scraping and suctioning it out) and figuring out why the sponges are doing so well (silicates, organic nutrients, algae/microbiome, etc.) would be better for removal purposes than trying to get something that eats them, so I agree that looking for silicates would be a good place to start.
Just to put this out there - the problem with using biological controls (i.e. something that eats it) with sponges is that there are a ton of different sponges, some of which look indistinguishable from others. Some of these sponges are inedible or extremely undesirable foods to some species (either because of chemical defenses* or just because of taste preferences) while being highly desirable to other species. So, even if you pull in a known sponge-eating species of fish/starfish/whatever, there's no guarantee it will eat the sponge you want it to eat. Also, many of these sponge-eating species eat other things (like coral) that you might not want them eating.

Long story short, manual removal is probably your best option for sponges until more study has been on both specific sponges and specific sponge-eaters, but you can try it if you want.

*Just as a note on the chemical defenses of sponges, many sponges produce chemicals to avoid being eaten. Some of these chemicals are more generalized, some of them are specifically anti-fish, some are specifically anti-echinoderm (starfish, urchin, etc.), etc. So, again, some things might eat one sponge but not another, and because of the whole indistinguishable thing mentioned above, the sponges that are and are not being eaten may look pretty much identical (some may be distinguished/ID'ed under microscopic investigation, others may need to be DNA tested to be distinguished/ID'ed).

Just my two cents here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was infested with this type of sponge for years before I broke it down. Tried scheduled manual removal, added a rock beauty angel, nothing really worked to eradicate this type of sponge and it will stifle out some corals like zoa colonies if left unabated. I will say that this tends to come on from wild LPS colonies like Lobos, at least that's where my infestation came from.
Not sure where mine came from. I haven't added anything to the tank for 2 years, except a few nassarius snails. Maybe from them???

Upvote 0

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where mine came from. I haven't added anything to the tank for 2 years, except a few nassarius snails. Maybe from them???
I started an additional tank with new dry rock and the tank was fine for 10 months until I ordered 50 snails, 2 ricordias and a sea whip from reeftopia. Everything looked fine, even lightly scrubbed the snail shells but after 4 months I see that dreaded sponge appearing so yes it's definitely coming from livestock.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back