OP
B

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So punching through the wall and splitting it between the 2 rooms is out...

Here's a thought though, maybe cut a hole where the tank itself sits so you can at least view the tank from that side? If the sink is directly behind, it would give you something better to look at than a blank wall while you are washing dishes, ect ect
That would definitely be different.....but its also cabinets on that wall above the sink lol

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go right to the end of the flat spot. 10’ maybe. I have a 10’ tank and I absolutely love it compared to my old 8’

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would definitely be different.....but its also cabinets on that wall above the sink lol

Well poo! I guess that brings you back to square 1 then.. I think the tank you mentioned in the OP will be fine, you're just going to have to get creative with how you are going to get back there to clean it.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story... we hired an interior decorator who thought a 12 foot tank would work better than the 8 foot tank I was trying to put it.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a tank build for mid to late summer this year. Originally, I was going to go with a 84x30x30 build but the wall I am placing it on is 10 ft. of flat wall space. The tank will be the focal point of the living room with nothing else in the room but a picture window, and area rug, and either a sofa or two oversized chairs for seating. The space that is taped out on the picture is actually 84x36x30 which I wanted to get an idea of because...WHY NOT go for more depth!?:D Lol.

BUT.....now that my wife is onboard with it, I've been thinking about going up to a 450.....96x36x30. My question is, is that TOO much tank for this sized space? I definitely want as MUCH tank as I can get but don't want it to look out of place at the same time. The room itself is roughly about 20x16. Any insights/suggestions are welcomed. Been looking at a Planet MegaMatrix to minimize the costs of customizing.

That last pic is just because we never really get decent snow here in Memphis lol....figured I'd share.

IMG_9687.jpg IMG_9689.jpg IMG_9686.jpg IMG_9690.jpg
We’re in northern Ontario Canada for the holiday weekend.

Snow ..... being only 5 hours north of home and 2x the snow

Attachments

• 3FEFEF27-7E36-4884-905B-1134FA25BB47.jpeg
    3FEFEF27-7E36-4884-905B-1134FA25BB47.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 28

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha follow our advice and your wife might have you sleeping in doghouse.
Unless your wife is like me...I ripped out some cabinets for my build...sometimes ya just gotta sacrifice! Hahaha!!!!
Seriously though, don’t listen to me :p

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be nice....however the kitchen is on the other side of that wall, the sink in particular lol. I WILL be running an ro/di through the wall directly though plumbed off the sink for top off
You don’t want to do that. Unless you also install an auto flush and make sure it works properly every month. Otherwise you’ll end up putting high TDS water into your tank as top off. The first few minutes of RODI production is subject to TDS creep as the filters concentrate dissolved solids prior to equilibrium ion and proper 0tds production

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flip it 90 degrees and make it a peninsula, but put it on the opposite side. So the ‘nook’ becomes your sitting area to preserve the flow of traffic from one doorway to the other

OP
OP
B

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to do that. Unless you also install an auto flush and make sure it works properly every month. Otherwise you’ll end up putting high TDS water into your tank as top off. The first few minutes of RODI production is subject to TDS creep as the filters concentrate dissolved solids prior to equilibrium ion and proper 0tds production
Thank you for that. I did not think about that piece

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really what you were asking but personally i would go longer but decrease the width front to back so it does not stick into room so much. Plus reaching three foot back and 30" down from front of tank is going to be painful
I'm an interior designer by trade and I back @mdb_talon completely!! wider, yes but less depth or clip the corners if you can afford to customize. Are you looking at acrylic or glass? I'd go acrylic with eurobracing. It will be much lighter and stronger.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back