Can you help ID this algae?

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!

I have a Reefer 170 that has been cycled for just over a year. I've had the usual algae issues but have started running into a bigger algae issue. A few months ago I started getting an outbreak of bubble algae. I dosed Vibrant for about 10 weeks and that slowly but surely got rid of 99% of the bubble algae. In the meantime, I had these little patches of a difficult-to-remove, somewhat coarse-looking algae. It hasn't been a very fast grower until the last few weeks. I get it on the rocks and on the sand. I did a three-day blackout about two weeks ago and that didn't help much. It doesn't seem like typical hair algae to me, but I could certainly be wrong. Dinos maybe? (I sure hope not). I test very regularly and the system seems to be pretty stable. Here are my usual numbers:

Temp: 78
pH: 8.3
Sal: 1.026
Alk: 9.0-9.4
Cal: 415
Mag: 1400
Nitrates: 2.5-10
Phos: .03-.05 (today's test was .04)

I did notice that my nitrates have come down from 10 to about 2.5 over the last two weeks and that seems to coincide with this algae growth. All my corals are doing pretty well and growing. If anyone has any ideas on what it may be and what I might do about it, I would certainly appreciate it. I'll attach a few pictures to help.

Thank you!
Joe
Algae (1).JPG
Algae (2).JPG
Algae (3).JPG

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like bryopsis to me. Not a fun thing to deal with. Not many options unfortunately. Look up reef flux or flux rx. It will eliminate bryopsis but some tanks may have some coral loss. I lost a few of my acros when I used it but it did take out the bryopsis.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back