Can you help me confirm nipping or disease?

Taylor E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvenile Orange Should tang that I thought had fin nips for the last 2-3 months. I finally had to take some action so I removed my six line wrasse from the tank (only other fish tank mate). It has only been a couple of days, but I was wondering if anyone could help me in confirming my tang doesn't have something like flukes. Also any idea how long I need to wait till I can confirm my six-line is the culprit?
Thanks for any advice in advance!
1115171302_HDR.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a month to a few months to heal damaged fins. If flukes, the fun damage should get increasingly worse.

That doesn’t look like fluke damage, to me. I’d keep an eye on it ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does look a little rough, but I'd expect his fins to grow back within a month if the sixline was to blame. Some vitamins in his food would help: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vitamins-herbal-remedies.304287/

No matter what, good call on rehoming the sixline. They're cute when small, but usually turn into monsters as they grow.

OP
OP
Taylor E

Taylor E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm very glad to hear the prognosis is mostly good for my tang. I was going to wait and keep my six-line in quarantine for a while, but now I'm thinking it might be better for him to get re-homed sooner than later if it could take over a month.

Humblefish, I've had my six-line for two years now, he used to be great, and I never saw him pick on anyone, but it must have started happening based on the issues I have had.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back