Can you make garden hose water reef safe?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RO/DI unit.
I also have a 1000L water container that I want to use for continous water change.

1000L is a lot of water! It's a whole lot for RO/DI with all the waste water.

Anyway I can get garden hose water to be good enough?

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do, however I strongly recommend against utilizing water with no filtration. It's just another way to reduce possibilities of issues. It also really depends on what's in your water. Will you have coral in the tank?

There are many articles discussing this on r2r, here is a more recent one:

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do, however I strongly recommend against utilizing water with no filtration. It's just another way to reduce possibilities of issues. It also really depends on what's in your water. Will you have coral in the tank?

There are many articles discussing this on r2r, here is a more recent one:

Thanks.
I have a 180g display and it will have coral in it.
I have an Apex and 2x DoS. I have Very high flow with 4 Wav's and 2 Gyre 350's.

I'm trying to avoid wasting alllllllllllll that water.
I will read the post you pointed out and I hope more people will chime in on this discussion.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Aww.... Here was thinking you are asking how to get water from your container to your tank and using a garden hose :). I moved my mixing station and need a longer run of hose. The flex silicon is pretty expensive :D

On topic people do use tap water but you have to use the prime solution to dechlorinate. I still would not trust it although I ran my 29 and 40 gallon using it for a while. Only recently with my upgrade did I add a proper rodi unit.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use the RODI waste water for something productive so it just doesn’t go down the drain if you’re afraid of wasting it. There are a couple threads on here where members give ideas on what to use it for.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap water with prime, however I did test the water to see what I would be putting in the aquarium. It's not as bad as some big city water systems. I have had zero issues with it.

Rolrod39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not worth the risk to use unfiltered water. All the work to get your tank to level you want to see it go down. Also if the cost is not in your budget to run a system that big you shouldn't get it. Having a r/o system is the way to go. The inhabitants in your tank will love you for it. I also want to have a super large system but I know a larger system will take more time, money, maintenance and water. Good luck and my the force be with you.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use the RODI waste water for something productive so it just doesn’t go down the drain if you’re afraid of wasting it. There are a couple threads on here where members give ideas on what to use it for.

I can't think of anything to do with THAT much water and I have nowhere to put it.
I'm open to suggestions.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i had a pool. I only have a large reef tank.

It's going to kill my water bill and take days to fill but i'm probably going to use my RO/DI.
I was hoping something came along that would let me safely use tap water for my salt and RO/DI for ATO.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run some filtration experiments using a 1-micron sediment, Carbon Block filter and then a DI filter. See what your TDS and pH are after those passes. It's not 100% guaranteed that you must use an RO membrane stage and generate waste.
If you do settle on needing RO, concentrate on incoming water pressure and temperature. Setup a system that will give you approximately 80F incoming water at 80-90 psi. With sediment, and Carbon Block filtration ahead of that, your RO membrane should get you in the 1.4-1.7:1 Waste:RO ratio, then a final pass through the DI and you are gold!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way would I use tap water for my tanks, the tds at my house is 170-250 year round. Not sure what are the biggest hitters in there but I am not going to find out.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to kill my water bill and take days to fill but i'm probably going to use my RO/DI.
I was hoping something came along that would let me safely use tap water for my salt and RO/DI for ATO.

A good RODI setup will get you a low waste to product ratio. Look up your city’s water rate schedule. The water might not be as expensive as you think. It’s more of a fear than a reality. Here is the water rates for Orlando for example.

4EBAEB0B-F680-4544-AC3C-03687BC51605.png

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run some filtration experiments using a 1-micron sediment, Carbon Block filter and then a DI filter. See what your TDS and pH are after those passes. It's not 100% guaranteed that you must use an RO membrane stage and generate waste.
If you do settle on needing RO, concentrate on incoming water pressure and temperature. Setup a system that will give you approximately 80F incoming water at 80-90 psi. With sediment, and Carbon Block filtration ahead of that, your RO membrane should get you in the 1.4-1.7:1 Waste:RO ratio, then a final pass through the DI and you are gold!
I agree on 80 90 psi water pressure, most of us can't adjust our incoming cold water temperature easily. You don't want to use any water from your hot water. Although warmer water will increase productivity in the membrane, it will also allow slightly more tds through the product water.

U

User1

View Badges
A good RODI setup will get you a low waste to product ratio. Look up your city’s water rate schedule. The water might not be as expensive as you think. It’s more of a fear than a reality. Here is the water rates for Orlando for example.

4EBAEB0B-F680-4544-AC3C-03687BC51605.png

You should try California...

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use a garden hose. The rubber has chemicals inside that may not be safe. Use a python nos spill clean and fill. However id use ro/di personally. Elimination of any doubts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Garden hose not safe to use as it retains bacteria and mold and leaches petroleum distillate which is part of it’s construction

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i had a pool. I only have a large reef tank.

Unfortunately this is one of those cases where just relaxing and taking the hit is your best option.

Back