Can you make your aquarium smell like the beach if so how

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard or seen products that changes the “smell” of an Aquarium. Just keep it clean and good water quality.. but it does not give it a Beach smell

Upvote 0

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible but probably not in the way you're hoping. I've told the story before but I'll tell it here again does it definitely has bearing

about eight ago I tore down a 50 gallon reef tank to upgrade to 125. During the move the 50-gallon sat in the house next to the new tank for probably 2 to 3 days with some water and wet sand. Needless to say, the sand got pretty ripe. It smell really bad.

On the third day we got around to getting the old tank moved out f the house. I dumped the sand on the side of the house, and the smell was really bad.

What happened next was interesting - As the rotting sand sat in the hot Phoenix sun, the smell started to change. In about 10 minutes, the pile of rotting sand started to warm up. As it did the most wonderful smell of the beach start to emanate from the pile of rotting sand. It was so strong in fact, I sat there for about 5 or 10 minutes with my eyes closed taking it all in because it smelled just that good.

True Story!

Try it sometime with some old wet rotting sand – its crazy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible but probably not in the way you're hoping. I've told the story before but I'll tell it here again does it definitely has bearing

about eight ago I tore down a 50 gallon reef tank to upgrade to 125. During the move the 50-gallon sat in the house next to the new tank for probably 2 to 3 days with some water and wet sand. Needless to say, the sand got pretty ripe. It smell really bad.

On the third day we got around to getting the old tank moved out f the house. I dumped the sand on the side of the house, and the smelal was really bad.

What happed next was interesting - As the rotting sand sat in the hot Phoenix sun, the smell started to change. In about 10 minutes, the pile of rotting sand started to warm up. As it did the most wonderful smell of the beach start to emanate from the pile of rotting sand. It was so strong in fact, I sat there for about 5 or 10 minutes with my eyes closed taking it all in because it smelled just that good.

True Story!

go on yes GIF

Upvote 0

Radu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my tanks smell like the ocean and its one of my favorite things and I also use it as a barometer to make sure everything is going right.

It's not really noticeable just standing in the fish room though. I noticed it when I do water changes etc.

Upvote 0

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On the third day we got around to getting the old tank moved out f the house. I dumped the sand on the side of the house, and the smell was really bad.

What happened next was interesting - As the rotting sand sat in the hot Phoenix sun, the smell started to change. In about 10 minutes, the pile of rotting sand started to warm up. As it did the most wonderful smell of the beach start to emanate from the pile of rotting sand. It was so strong in fact, I sat there for about 5 or 10 minutes with my eyes closed taking it all in because it smelled just that good.

True Story!

I had the same experience.
I rinsed 70lbs of old stinky mature sand then let it sit in a sealed tote in the garage for months wet.
The day i opened the lid i expected to find something so foul and rotten but infact it smelled like a really fresh day at the beach. No low tide smell :)
I was amazed....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lilly Moore

Lilly Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering my questions didn’t know if there was a way the aquarium business seems to have an answer for everything

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u make your aquarium smell like the beach if so how
One smell that is encountered at the beach is stressed algae, drying and overheated. At high dilution it might be pleasant

Upvote 0

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had that good “shore” smell, but it only lasted a day or so after adding live rock from the Gulf. I hoped it would smell like that forever! But at least it doesn’t stink.
Anyway, apparently that aroma has been linked to plankton that produce dimethyl sulfide, so making an air freshener doesn’t seem too difficult! :D

Upvote 0

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the fresh ocean smell you get as you approach the shore is actually the smell of salt creep combined with decaying organic matter as things wash up on the beach. As a career sailor, I can tell you that on the open ocean, there is no "sea" smell. We occasionally get that smell from areas in the sump or display that have algae or other organics that come in contact with the air and start to decay, but optimally, there should be very little "sea" smell.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smell is actually decaying seaweed and organics I believe. Literally the smell of death.

Upvote 0

Radu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the fresh ocean smell you get as you approach the shore is actually the smell of salt creep combined with decaying organic matter as things wash up on the beach. As a career sailor, I can tell you that on the open ocean, there is no "sea" smell. We occasionally get that smell from areas in the sump or display that have algae or other organics that come in contact with the air and start to decay, but optimally, there should be very little "sea" smell.
The smell is actually decaying seaweed and organics I believe. Literally the smell of death.
Nice, good to know. This lines up with my statement about only noticing it when I do water changes because that's when I will scrape those little spots of algae off the glass with a razor that the turbo snails leave behind. I'm guessing I am smelling that decaying along with the rest of the detritus during my water change.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back