Can you mix copper and prazi?? Clownfish & 6-Line

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm currently quarantining two small clownfish and one small 6-line wrasse. Over the course of a week I have slowly been bringing them up to therapeutic levels of copper. I am noticing that both clowns have white stringy poop which, (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) are symptoms of internal parasites? Fortunately, I have Praziquantel available however, I am curious if it would be okay to treat them with both at the same time? For copper, I am using Copper Power and for Praziquantel, I received it in powder form.

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm currently quarantining two small clownfish and one small 6-line wrasse. Over the course of a week I have slowly been bringing them up to therapeutic levels of copper. I am noticing that both clowns have white stringy poop which, (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) are symptoms of internal parasites? Fortunately, I have Praziquantel available however, I am curious if it would be okay to treat them with both at the same time? For copper, I am using Copper Power and for Praziquantel, I received it in powder form.
I would immediately stop copper and move to prazi. Copper decreases the effectiveness of prazi. Once you get through a prazi treatment you can once again restart the copper treatment, as annoying as that is it’s the best and safest way to ensure you will save your fish and keep them disease free. Besides the fact that prazi might not work as well with copper, running both treatments at the same time will be a huge stress to your fish in particular I’m worried about your wrasse, it might not make it. For best success split it up.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
particular I’m worried about your wrasse, it might not make it. For best success split it up
Hi TangGang,
I missed the art in the op that there’s a wrasse in there, I thought he just said a pair of clowns. It has been my understanding that you can’t QT or treat wrasses with copper?

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi TangGang,
I missed the art in the op that there’s a wrasse in there, I thought he just said a pair of clowns. It has been my understanding that you can’t QT or treat wrasses with copper?
You can treat wrasses with copper, as long as it is chelated copper such as coppersafe. Ionic copper like cupramine is very hard on wrasses and will most likely kill them. Also the more sensitive the species of wrasse is the slower you should bring it up to therapeutic levels.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back