Can you please judge my quarantine room setup?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 75 gallon rated HOB filter. I’m going to use 2 HOB filters per tank and fill them to the brim with seachem matrix. The sponge and matrix won’t do anything in the tank where it’s placed right now because they need strong flow to be efficient.

I have a couple of weeks before I get the fish. I will do anything in my power to have a strong biofilter. Worst comes to worst I can always do a water change. Not the end of the world.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I asked Humblefish and he said ceramic media was ok to use. He even recommended the brand of ceramic that I’m using.

Edit. I’m going to double check with him. Thank you!

I've never heard of ceramic or sintered glass media absorbing medications. Carbonate materials can absorb some coppers, but ceramics are inert.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks in this room. 2 tanks will be for fish treatment and observation, and one will be for corals and inverts.

The fish treatment tank is the 10 gallon on the right side of the room next to the window. This tank will have metro, copper, and prazi.

The tank next to it has 10 pounds of sand for the corals and inverts.

The tank which is 10 feet away on the left side of the room is a 20 gallon tank which I will be using to observe fish and fatten them up after the stress from medicating.

All tanks have an oversized HOB filters with ceramic media and sponge filter for bio filtration. The 2 tanks on the right side have an air stone and the tank on the right will utilize a power head pointed to the surface.

I think my biggest struggle will be not cross contamination. It’s so easy to accidentally use the same cup to fill the HOB filters. It’s so easy to dip the same tubing in the tanks when doing water changes. It’s so easy to mess up which scared me.

Please give me all the advice you can.
AC702770-A096-4371-A3C3-48CA14AA00A7.jpeg
C07D1E7B-5BE9-4CD7-BBFD-4F7430F25032.jpeg
E93B520D-CBC6-4A84-B402-4D7D43FCD788.jpeg
It makes me a bit nervous to see this tank sitting on this stand - the edges overhang. If that is made from pressboard (OSB) and if it gets wet, it could fail.

I always mount power strips on the wall, with a drip loop on the cords from the tank.

Will you have some method to keep fish from jumping out?

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back