Can you plumb a tank on the same horizontal level as the sump?

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, there are a few other problems. By definition, the water height in the sump and the other tank would have to be identical because of the siphon.

The water height in my sump is 7.5". My frag tank is 8 inches high. That is not a large margin of error between the two. If the water height of the sump were to go up (even by only 0.5"), there would be a risk of overflowing the frag tank. I can't lower the water level in my sump further, because my skimmer requires about 7.5" of water. That seems like a no-go. I suppose I could raise my frag tank to a level that makes sense.

The alternative would be to use a higher tank (not my 8" high frag tank). That would work. However, the height of the water would be limited to the height of the water in the sump (7.5"). That would also be frustrating, because it would just resemble an add on sump that is half full.

I think what we are really looking for is a way to add a tank (on the same horizontal surface) whose water height is not dependent on the height of the water level in the sump. That would be ideal.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, there are a few other problems. By definition, the water height in the sump and the other tank would have to be identical because of the siphon.

The water height in my sump is 7.5". My frag tank is 8 inches high. That is not a large margin of error between the two. If the water height of the sump were to go up (even by only 0.5"), there would be a risk of overflowing the frag tank. I can't lower the water level in my sump further, because my skimmer requires about 7.5" of water. That seems like a no-go. I suppose I could raise my frag tank to a level that makes sense.

The alternative would be to use a higher tank (not my 8" high frag tank). That would work. However, the height of the water would be limited to the height of the water in the sump (7.5"). That would also be frustrating, because it would just resemble an add on sump that is half full.

I think what we are really looking for is a way to add a tank (on the same horizontal surface) whose water height is not dependent on the height of the water level in the sump. That would be ideal.
Is increasing sump level an option? Make a stand for the skimmer. The 8" inch frag tank is a challenge. I assumed 30 meant a regular tank. Maybe a 40 breeder for frags. I have one for frags. I'd like to make a lps only tank from one. The one I have is 16 inches tall with 12 inches of water. My old 30 is 19" tall. Lots to think about. Lol. I'll take a pic that might help. Or not help. Lol.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220112_150553.jpg

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference in the prefilter and the water level in the skimmer box is about a inch with 800 gph going thru it with one inch and 1/4 siphon. It doesn't take a huge difference in elevation to move lots of water. It will handle more but my system is happiest at 800. More than enough for your needs. I love these projects. As you see in the pic all my stuff is DIY. Old tech but it all works. Hope it helps.

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting in a basement sump, main tank is upstairs. How can I add a 30 gallon tank that is in the basement to the same system without putting the sump on the floor to allow gravity to power the out flow from the small tank to the sump? I want to have the sump at waist level for ease of maintenance. Has anyone done this? If using a pump or pumps, in and out would have to be identical right? Is this possible?
I have a sump in the basement and a 75 gallon tank. I made a stopping point mid way down from the ceiling and put in a small sump for my shimmer and calcium reactor and 2 other reactor. I put a bulkhead in the sump and have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump on the floor. I built a cabinet around it. The Rubbermaid sump in the floor is full of live rock, some fish and a frag rack

Attachments

• IMG_20201203_191051425.jpg
    IMG_20201203_191051425.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20201203_191114140.jpg
    IMG_20201203_191114140.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 41

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is increasing sump level an option? Make a stand for the skimmer. The 8" inch frag tank is a challenge. I assumed 30 meant a regular tank. Maybe a 40 breeder for frags. I have one for frags. I'd like to make a lps only tank from one. The one I have is 16 inches tall with 12 inches of water. My old 30 is 19" tall. Lots to think about. Lol. I'll take a pic that might help. Or not help. Lol.
Not really. I have three drains, and two returns plumbed in as well as the circulation pump to the 60. It would be a major undertaking.

There were two of us in this thread. The 30G was the other person. In my case, I had the frag tank. I also had the 60G in the picture of the original thread that is plumbed into my sump.

Balthazar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No overflow from lower tank. It's like a canister filter. Water in, water out. The water level in the lower tank and sump level are almost constantly the same when in operation. Ive seen it work..
Sorry for any confusion . I was referriing to the way Greg G has his lower tank and sump set up.
I see what you are saying though.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for any confusion . I was referriing to the way Greg G has his lower tank and sump set up.
I see what you are saying though.
Yeah. No problem. I should look closer at who is posting. Lol. I get Gaughan up in these water flow projects. I've enjoyed the photos and ideas. I guess I boils down to check valves and elevation of tanks. Lol. Good luck. It sounds like you guys have good plans.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. No problem. I should look closer at who is posting. Lol. I get Gaughan up in these water flow projects. I've enjoyed the photos and ideas. I guess I boils down to check valves and elevation of tanks. Lol. Good luck. It sounds like you guys have good plans.

I somehow took over the thread.... didn't mean to. I've been thinking about how I would add that frag tank on to my current system and it still sits empty! lol.

The use of check valves usually evokes a lot of conversation on these pages ;-). I personally use them, but I know a lot of reefers that won't. The elevation issue is something worth thinking about. It makes it tricky when you have tanks with very different heights that you want to be on the same horizontal surface.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back