Can you Radion AB+ on an AI Hydra? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Without the capability of ramping its colors past 100%, how close is its performance to the HD's AB+?

Not sure I can fully answer that but I do know of a member or two that have done the comparisons. I’ll look and see what I can find and let you know.

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I came up with in the video for the the Hydra52. :)
UV- 156%
Violet - 154%
Royal blues - 160%
Blues - 77%
Greens - 11%
Deep reds - 40%
Cool whites - 27%

It would be great if you could replicate that configuration to non-HD models. :(

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and about to put together my first tank (IM Lagoon 25). I've been puzzled over choosing the right lighting option and the BRS videos have helped me a lot in understanding some of the key factors.

I'm wrestling with myself regarding the Radion XR15 G4 Pro vs AI Hydra 26. The Hydra is significantly cheaper, especially if you count a ReefLink or Apex module to match the wifi controllability of the Hydra. Clearly, Radions are getting lots of love by tons of reefers, BRS, and WWC. So I'm wondering why one would choose the Radion over the Hydra (especially when you don't own Reeflink, Apex module, and other ecotech equipment already)?

1) Spectrum: Most people run the AB+ program. The recent BRS video showed you can get very similar spectrum on AI vs Radion templates. I've never been able to see them side by side but I assume that this means that they can look the same and would give my coral the same pop, right? So the color and pop it produces can't be a reason for the Radion, right?

2) Power: According to this awesome website it's about 20% more avg par with a XR15 G4 Pro compared to the hydra 26 but peak par and power consumption are almost the same. Most reefers do not use either at 100% and certainly I wouldn't on a shallow lagoon with a mixed reef. Given that I would never run either close to 100% my guess is that this extra power is not really put to use?

3) To get wireless control it's another $100 for a reeflink. I might get an Apex down the road and then would need another module. The diffusers also are extra yet again.

Please change my mind :) I love to learn. Why wouldn't new reefers simply go for the AI options? Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and about to put together my first tank (IM Lagoon 25). I've been puzzled over choosing the right lighting option and the BRS videos have helped me a lot in understanding some of the key factors.
I'm wrestling with myself regarding the Radion XR15 G4 Pro vs AI Hydra 26. The Hydra is significantly cheaper, especially if you count a ReefLink or Apex module to match the wifi controllability of the Hydra. Clearly, Radions are getting lots of love by tons of reefers, BRS, and WWC. So I'm wondering why one would choose the Radion over the Hydra (especially when you don't own Reeflink, Apex module, and other ecotech equipment already)?
1) Spectrum: Most people run the AB+ program. The recent BRS video showed you can get very similar spectrum on AI vs Radion templates. I've never been able to see them side by side but I assume that this means that they can look the same and would give my coral the same pop, right? So the color and pop it produces can't be a reason for the Radion, right?
2) Power: According to this awesome website it's about 20% more avg par with a XR15 G4 Pro compared to the hydra 26 but peak par and power consumption are almost the same. Most reefers do not use either at 100% and certainly I wouldn't on a shallow lagoon with a mixed reef. Given that I would never run either close to 100% my guess is that this extra power is not really put to use?
3) To get wireless control it's another $100 for a reeflink. I might get an Apex down the road and then would need another module. The diffusers also are extra yet again.
Please change my mind :) I love to learn. Why wouldn't new reefers simply go for the AI options? Thanks everyone!

This really could be more of a personal choice between the two, but here are some points I would also consider.
1) Since your tank is so shallow, regardless of total wattage output and PAR capabilities of each fixture you're not nearly going to use 100% of what they can do. If it were me, I just wouldn't complicate my decision process over a detail that won't pertain to my specific tank.
2) Yes, aesthetically the spectrum I used to attempt the Radion AB+ is going to be fairly close to the same color/look that the Radion produces. However, the Radion does have a wider range of LED numbers and spectrum offering, so it won't be exactly the same (but wouldn't deter me from using on my tank).
3) If out-of-the-box controlability is a priority to you (which it sounds like it may be) the AI seems like an obvious choice for that alone.
4) Getting back to your tank specifically, I don't doubt that both fixtures will meet the needs of that tank so honestly either option is likely a good one. (The AI being the more cost effective option.) :)

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS

Would this be recommended for mixed reefs, LPS heavy, or softy dominate? I have seen a lot of people refer to this, or the older profile variant of this, as the Radion “SPS AB+” profile. Would you say this spectrum would be as good for all corals as it is for SPS?

The main reason I want to ask is in cases that newer AI owners, or new reefers in general, that may have predominantly Softy or LPS systems using this program versus some of the other profiles available and it not being the best fit for their current system therefore not getting the results they are expecting.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Would this be recommended for mixed reefs, LPS heavy, or softy dominate? I have seen a lot of people refer to this, or the older profile variant of this, as the Radion “SPS AB+” profile. Would you say this spectrum would be as good for all corals as it is for SPS?
The main reason I want to ask is in cases that newer AI owners, or new reefers in general, that may have predominantly Softy or LPS systems using this program versus some of the other profiles available and it not being the best fit for their current system therefore not getting the results they are expecting.

I was discussing something to this same effect earlier today on another forum post, where I mentioned the folks over at WWC who use a slightly modified AB+ spectrum for pretty much every one of their tanks (from grow out to coral runs and in between). Personally, I'd be comfortable using these spectrum settings on any tank type.

Honestly I don't think there is enough (if any) scientific testing results out there to make a definitive determination as to what spectrum is best for each individual coral type. Not only that, but for those us with a few coral types in the tank, how hard would it be to decide what optimal spectrum to go with? All-in-all I'd say the larger concern for lighting is providing the right PAR levels with even distribution/spread/dispersion for the types of corals you are trying to keep.

Since we know from years of successful reefs thriving under a pretty wide range of lighting spectrum (from MH bulb choices to different T5 combos), there isn't necessarily one spectrum to rule them all. So rather than chase down that perfect combo, I'd find one that I like and that other reefers have had success with, set my lights to it and choose an intensity that hits the demands of the corals in my tank..... then never touch it again. :p

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Hydra 52HDs and I’ve found that running each color at the same intensity was most pleasing to my eye. I then used a par meter to hit the sweet spot I was looking for and that’s that.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few weeks running these settings I have seen a definite improvement in coral coloration and growth versus the “other” AB+ AI setting program. This is program is definitely more blue than the other AB+ but not to where it’s unpleasant for viewing (for me anyway) or feeling eye strain after being up close to the aquarium for awhile.

I’ve had one particular jawbreaker for a year or so and even with good growth the difference in color now is highly noticeable. The green areas have just popped in the last week, and the red areas are spreading as well. Could be age...but I believe it’s the difference in spectrum and the coral getting used to light change now after a few weeks with the BRS AB+ settings from this thread. Zoas also look much more vibrant and new polyps sprouting in a faster rate than before.

THANKS BRS!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few weeks running these settings I have seen a definite improvement in coral coloration and growth versus the “other” AB+ AI setting program. This is program is definitely more blue than the other AB+ but not to where it’s unpleasant for viewing (for me anyway) or feeling eye strain after being up close to the aquarium for awhile.
I’ve had one particular jawbreaker for a year or so and even with good growth the difference in color now is highly noticeable. The green areas have just popped in the last week, and the red areas are spreading as well. Could be age...but I believe it’s the difference in spectrum and the coral getting used to light change now after a few weeks with the BRS AB+ settings from this thread. Zoas also look much more vibrant and new polyps sprouting in a faster rate than before.
THANKS BRS!

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing your results. :)

JFLU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the hydra 26 HD what would be the par levels be on this? Just wondering how high they would be to place corals in the right areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the hydra 26 HD what would be the par levels be on this? Just wondering how high they would be to place corals in the right areas.

The one thing I forgot to do when coming up with these spectrum settings. Hopefully I can find some time to test, but better yet would be if those currently running it could chime in if they have tested their PAR.

JFLU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I forgot to do when coming up with these spectrum settings. Hopefully I can find some time to test, but better yet would be if those currently running it could chime in if they have tested their PAR.

That would great info if someone could run that test.

paronaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far from the water surface does the AI hydra 26HD have to be?
Tank: 24x24x14
Planing to have mix reef

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far from the water surface does the AI hydra 26HD have to be?
Tank: 24x24x14
Planing to have mix reef

PAR output in your specific setup will be the best judge of mounting height, as you will account for coral placement and aquascape. Most likely that will fall somewhere between 8"-12" off the water surface. :)

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR output in your specific setup will be the best judge of mounting height, as you will account for coral placement and aquascape. Most likely that will fall somewhere between 8"-12" off the water surface. :)

Make sure you use acclimate! I tried switching to these settings to quickly in my IM25lagoon. Made some very, very unhappy corals.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you use acclimate! I tried switching to these settings to quickly in my IM25lagoon. Made some very, very unhappy corals.

Agreed! In all cases a PAR meter is going to be the best way to know how high to mount and what intensity to dial in your lights.

Given what we know about lighting corals and how inaccurate the human eye is at measuring PAR, I personally don't see myself ever setting up a tank with LEDs without using a PAR meter to ensure I'm in the right ranges for the coral I want to keep. Not only that, but as you found this is probably even more important when making any changes to your existing programming or when swapping out different types of lighting.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had much better success with my acros after raising my hydra 52 HD’s to 16” above the water. Much better spread, color blending, and most importantly, no more rtn.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back