Can you Radion AB+ on an AI Hydra? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jlroc23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea 170 that is about 3 months old I have been running saxby but after reading many threads it seems the census is saxby it to bright for such a small tank. I am new but to me corals and fish all look good but have had some algae breakouts. This may be new tank or maybe lights . I am thinking of switching to the AB+ 50% aclimation and see what. Question is I see AB+ runs some levels over 100% and saxby is about half. So I an confused as why saxby is considered to bright.. I have not watch the video so maybe this is explained but any advise is would be appreciated

THIEN LE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I missed any post in this thread, but I still can't tell how to change the BRS AB+ to achieve certain pars, to change the % of all color or to change just certain color. Please enlighten me.

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I missed any post in this thread, but I still can't tell how to change the BRS AB+ to achieve certain pars, to change the % of all color or to change just certain color. Please enlighten me.

You can't per se on the hydras. You can still run a higher par level in the same spectrum but you have to manually calculate and adjust each channel. So if you want 10% more par output then you'd take whatever the setting is on each channel and multiply by .1 then increase that channel by the number you got and move on to the next channel until you've done every channel. So say your UV is at 90 then you'd multiply by .1 which would give you 9 so you'd increase the UV channel to 99 and move on to the next.
I hope my explanation was easy to follow.

carolinareefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea 250 and have been running ab+ for the past 3 months. I started with a 2 hr ramp up and down and a 6 hr max... too much light. I started to cut down the max time period until now I am at ramp up from 0 to 100 percent for 5 hrs and then ramp down for 5 hrs. So as soon as it peaks, it immediately begins to dim. Its definitely getting better, but I still believe that AB+ at 80 percent maybe less would be better.

Screenshot_20190908-100148_YouTube.jpg

THIEN LE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't per se on the hydras. You can still run a higher par level in the same spectrum but you have to manually calculate and adjust each channel. So if you want 10% more par output then you'd take whatever the setting is on each channel and multiply by .1 then increase that channel by the number you got and move on to the next channel until you've done every channel. So say your UV is at 90 then you'd multiply by .1 which would give you 9 so you'd increase the UV channel to 99 and move on to the next.
I hope my explanation was easy to follow.
Got ya...thank you very much. Never done this before. I need to know what I'm going to do before renting one.

Jason Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya...thank you very much. Never done this before. I need to know what I'm going to do before renting one.
I have a Red Sea 525 Xl with 3 hydra 26 HD , I’ve been running the BRS AB+ for about 7 months . My tank is Sps dominate and the tank has been running for about 3 years and the rock has been in another tank for about 8 years from a very established tank.

I seen great growth once I changed to the new schedule and the colors where really coming out nicely, the last2 months I have been seeing some STN and color fading. All my peramitors are spot on . Change the calcuim reactor media thinking that was the problem but it wasn’t . I finally bought a par meter MQ-210 because that would be the only thinit could be. Par meter arrived and I was shocked on how low the par was.

150 par 2” below the top of the water line and only 80 par at the bottom of the tank , I couldn’t believe it. I almost lost some nice size colony’s. And my Jason Fox purple snow flake colony is almost toast.

I have added 3 Radion XR15G4 Pros on the AB+ Setting and what a difference. I’m know getting 450 par on the JF Purple snow flake at the top and 350 Par at the bottom of the tank. I believe that the AI Hydras just don’t have enough power the satisfy the corals needs in a SPS Tank when the corals mature into colony’s .
DKH 9.2
Ca 450
Mg 1400
No3 2 ppm
Po4 .05
Feed reef roids and oyster feast soaked in LRS reef frenzy with Acro Power aminos and Selcon daily.

I hope this helps you out. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Happy reefing. Here a shot ofmy tank after adding the new Radions.

1D8C663C-A013-4CA0-A93E-EF036D660628.jpeg C8F089BF-1C53-4547-A00F-0846337A74E3.jpeg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 525 Xl with 3 hydra 26 HD , I’ve been running the BRS AB+ for about 7 months . My tank is Sps dominate and the tank has been running for about 3 years and the rock has been in another tank for about 8 years from a very established tank.

I seen great growth once I changed to the new schedule and the colors where really coming out nicely, the last2 months I have been seeing some STN and color fading. All my peramitors are spot on . Change the calcuim reactor media thinking that was the problem but it wasn’t . I finally bought a par meter MQ-210 because that would be the only thinit could be. Par meter arrived and I was shocked on how low the par was.

150 par 2” below the top of the water line and only 80 par at the bottom of the tank , I couldn’t believe it. I almost lost some nice size colony’s. And my Jason Fox purple snow flake colony is almost toast.

I have added 3 Radion XR15G4 Pros on the AB+ Setting and what a difference. I’m know getting 450 par on the JF Purple snow flake at the top and 350 Par at the bottom of the tank. I believe that the AI Hydras just don’t have enough power the satisfy the corals needs in a SPS Tank when the corals mature into colony’s .
DKH 9.2
Ca 450
Mg 1400
No3 2 ppm
Po4 .05
Feed reef roids and oyster feast soaked in LRS reef frenzy with Acro Power aminos and Selcon daily.

I hope this helps you out. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Happy reefing. Here a shot ofmy tank after adding the new Radions.

1D8C663C-A013-4CA0-A93E-EF036D660628.jpeg C8F089BF-1C53-4547-A00F-0846337A74E3.jpeg
That par meter needs a 1.3 conversion applied but you are correct. The 26’s and primes are shockingly low par with the ab+ settings. The 52’s are much more powerful though, even with the ab+. I like to keep my hydras 16” above the water so I needed 2-26 HD’s on my 29 gallon frag tank just to reach 250 par at the mid point of the tank. I find over driving the 20k setting on the 26 HD’s is the best option for color and par.

THIEN LE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DKH 9.2
Ca 450
Mg 1400
No3 2 ppm
Po4 .05

Thank you very much Jason, great to learn that the AB+ setting works good for your tank, and yes I can tell your sps are HUGE. Today I just set AB+ at 50% on my 3 hydra 52HD, but again no idea what par do I get. Colorwise, it doesn't look as nice as the blue only vipaspectras I have on the other tank, lol.

Jason Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks T
Thank you very much Jason, great to learn that the AB+ setting works good for your tank, and yes I can tell your sps are HUGE. Today I just set AB+ at 50% on my 3 hydra 52HD, but again no idea what par do I get. Colorwise, it doesn't look as nice as the blue only vipaspectras I have on the other tank, lol.
Thank you Thein,
Brs rents Par meters for pretty cheap if your curios on where your tanks is At . If your in the Bay Area we can check the par with mine. Let me know if you need any help moving forward. I’ve been through the struggle . Happy reefing, talk with you soon..

kin_itsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @randyBrs.I just received a second ai hydra 26.Using the ab+ mode , 6hours max and 1hours ramp.After two week ,I have seen the frag growth.Thanks so much.

Miguel Pxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy
Any chance for you guys to test the new Hydras (Prime16, Hydra32 and Hydra64) and to check if the Spectrum remaisn the same, with the same settings ?
Also can the Warn White (Moon channel) be used to improve coloration ?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy
Any chance for you guys to test the new Hydras (Prime16, Hydra32 and Hydra64) and to check if the Spectrum remaisn the same, with the same settings ?
Also can the Warn White (Moon channel) be used to improve coloration ?

We're working on a few changes to the way we test lights, but right now there are a few Hydra64s mounted over our light testing tanks and we're working on them as we speak. :)

Miguel Pxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're working on a few changes to the way we test lights, but right now there are a few Hydra64s mounted over our light testing tanks and we're working on them as we speak. :)
Hey Randy
When doing your analysis is it possible to test two of the most "famous" presets out there in terms of spectrum and PAR/PUR:
- Saxby
- BRSTV AB+
- AI announces on their website the attached spectrum when using 100% on all channels. Is it really so ? Is the spectrum adequate ?
Best Regards from GMT

Hydra32_spectrum_.png

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy
When doing your analysis is it possible to test two of the most "famous" presets out there in terms of spectrum and PAR/PUR:
- Saxby
- BRSTV AB+
- AI announces on their website the attached spectrum when using 100% on all channels. Is it really so ? Is the spectrum adequate ?
Best Regards from GMT

It does take quite a bit of time and resources to put together a full video, but I assure you we will cover these lights soon. :)

Miguel Pxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does take quite a bit of time and resources to put together a full video, but I assure you we will cover these lights soon. :)
I can imagine that, specially when you do it as professional as you do!
Keep up the great work! You are truly a reference in this hobby, in the US but also overseas!!
Thanks !

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's finally here!

Thanks to @dave57 for asking us to double check some AI Hydra26 and Hydra52 settings that he found. Not only did I check those numbers from THIS POST but I also checked the settings we used on the Prime to see if they were comparable.

Check out what I found!

Randy now that the Hydra 32's are here can we copy the same settings for the 26 (ab settings) for the 32?

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 125 doing a fishless cycle now, and have three AI Hydra 32s that will be going over after the cycle. I'd like to run the AB+ program with them. Any timeline on having the AI AB+ settings updated for the AI 32 and 64 fixtures? Thanks!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 125 doing a fishless cycle now, and have three AI Hydra 32s that will be going over after the cycle. I'd like to run the AB+ program with them. Any timeline on having the AI AB+ settings updated for the AI 32 and 64 fixtures? Thanks!

I just wrapped up the new testing approach with the Hydra64 (...warning, it's going to be a long one!). Watch for that video this Friday!

We will be applying this testing approach to all light testing going forward, but tough to say when exactly we will be able to get to the other Hydra lights. Hopefully within the next few months or so. :)

Big D

Master of my Domain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wrapped up the new testing approach with the Hydra64 (...warning, it's going to be a long one!). Watch for that video this Friday!

We will be applying this testing approach to all light testing going forward, but tough to say when exactly we will be able to get to the other Hydra lights. Hopefully within the next few months or so. :)

Awesome... been waiting on this!

Now if we could just get AI to add AIcloud level control. :rolleyes:

D

Back