Can you spell "peninsula" and better yet what do you think about these tanks?

Peninsula Reef Tanks

• I have a peninsula tank now and I love it

Votes: 138 21.1%
  • I have a peninsula tank now and I hate it

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • I have had a peninsula tank in the past and I loved it

Votes: 27 4.1%
  • I have had a peninsula tank in the past and I hated it

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • I am planning to set up a peninsula tank in the future

Votes: 130 19.8%
  • I have thought about setting up a peninsula tank in the future

Votes: 247 37.7%
  • I do not like peninsula tanks

Votes: 63 9.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 43 6.6%

• Total voters

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting back into the hobby and I decided to set up a 90 gal peninsula tank and the whole family loves it. I am setting up a mixed reef that is LPS heavy and I love the fact that I can easily setup different flow zones in the tank so I can have High flow corals almost side-by-side with low flow specimens.

03AF590A-75B0-4CA7-8F9F-12B0BF4C1600.jpeg 51443A75-925F-40AD-939A-A0580864AF4C.jpeg
Pretty tank, but it's kind of creepy to have a coral that looks like a little girl's head.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a 2 year old pic of mine. 36x48 footprint 200 gallon.
I love having 3 sides and mine is wide enough to still have a "back." Its filled in enough that you don't really see through it.
The only real downside is good flow is somewhat more difficult to achieve.
Also hanging the lights was a bit difficult because my ceilings are around 14 feet, although that has nothing to do with being a peninsula.

30073601_10156044965966708_482879206517213511_o.jpg

Jfinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love peninsula tanks. Here was my 360G.
original.jpg

Unfortunately, we moved back in September and the tank did not make it with us. However, another peninsula is on order.

1. What is your experience with peninsula reef tanks? Yay or nay?
Hell Yes!
2. What are the pros and cons of maintaining a peninsula reef tank?
Pros:
More viewing angles
Aquascape
Look terrific
Access to all sides of tank
Cons:
Aquascape
More glass to clean
How did you manage flow? I’ve got a Waterbox 7225 on its way and beginning to worry that I should have stuck with the 5 foot model.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you manage flow? I’ve got a Waterbox 7225 on its way and beginning to worry that I should have stuck with the 5 foot model.

I ran two Tunze 6255s anti-synce in long pulse mode at 50% power. I have Vetra L2 as a return at 50% power as well.
On a 7225, I don't see the 72" as a problem with the Tunze but I do see the 25" as the problem. These large Tunze are very strong, however, they're somewhat direct near the powerhead. With a wider tank, you can place the powerhead where there's little rocks. But with a narrower tank, you don't really have that kind of open water estate.
Unfortunately, it's really hard to say unless you try it out. Get two 6155 or 6255, or MP60 and see what works. I wouldn't bother with the MP40 since it will not be able to push to the end of that 72". I tried two MP60s on my tank and they weren't able to push the water at the 72" the way I want at full power.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about a bump for this great thread. new peninsula owners post what you got. lets see some updated pics of those of you that posted!

I have always wanted a Peninsula tank for years. long story short bought a house with a perfect spot for one but it took 1.5 years of reno work but finally getting there. doing the scape now what a fun challenge!

this is where its going:
1607533520292.png

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with a peninsula so I don’t know the pros and cons... ok, now that I have shown I have no pertinent info to add, I’ll add my .02.

I have often though of getting a large peninsula aquarium and setting it up in the dinning room with a fish/equipment room behind it. If I were to to that I would make it higher than a normal tank and put a bar counter top surrounding it, aka the dinner room table. I would have bar stools around it so I, and my family I guess , could enjoy the set up.

This is my pipe dream. Well one of them. However, I am very content with what I have now.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with a peninsula so I don’t know the pros and cons... ok, now that I have shown I have no pertinent info to add, I’ll add my .02.

I have often though of getting a large peninsula aquarium and setting it up in the dinning room with a fish/equipment room behind it. If I were to to that I would make it higher than a normal tank and put a bar counter top surrounding it, aka the dinner room table. I would have bar stools around it so I, and my family I guess , could enjoy the set up.

This is my pipe dream. Well one of them. However, I am very content with what I have now.
I think that is a great idea! I have thought of the same type of thing a breakfast bar. perfect place to enjoy some food eh?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many others have stated, a peninsula tank is great if there is the right space for it. Not every home has that. Mine current home (that I have lived in 1986 does not) so I have never had one.

As far as flow, having had a gyre powerhead, I believe that would solve keeping a clean look to the tank and yet provide adequate flow.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many others have stated, a peninsula tank is great if there is the right space for it. Not every home has that. Mine current home (that I have lived in 1986 does not) so I have never had one.

As far as flow, having had a gyre powerhead, I believe that would solve keeping a clean look to the tank and yet provide adequate flow.

yup flow and having the right space for one ( all tho are nano peninsula tanks from IM, fiji cube & WB so no excuse there.)
for my 650P I will have 2X Gyre with an open NSA stylr scape. I really hope I can keep and think off the short end.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about a bump for this great thread. new peninsula owners post what you got. lets see some updated pics of those of you that posted!

I have always wanted a Peninsula tank for years. long story short bought a house with a perfect spot for one but it took 1.5 years of reno work but finally getting there. doing the scape now what a fun challenge!

this is where its going:
1607533520292.png
That looks like a great spot, but I would raise it up a little ;)

Back