Can you tell me if he’s still alive?

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RFA that is now in my DT. QT it and my other coral for 30 days before transferring. All was well and it moved around to different spots on its own.
57F9A1C1-B0ED-43DF-9357-4D5A4E3436FB.jpeg

he went from up front on the rock, like in the pic, to the next rock over in between the both. I spot feed like I normally do and noticed one of my hermits was picking at it. Not sure how long he was. But I moved him away and gave the hermit a piece of algae wafer. The next day the RFA was sunk in and had drifted off unattached. I remembered I had some breeding baskets, for my fresh water tanks, and grabbed some of my pre mixed saltwater and rinsed of any dust before placing in the tank. Didn’t want to transfer it back to QT because of stress. So now here he sits.
FAB37503-9EED-44C6-A07A-E9A7D9B8E499.jpeg

this was yesterday that my wife sent me, and this is from today.
A3E23FA3-080E-4CFF-8255-AC3520E6C653.jpeg

it looks more shriveled and looks like he took some damage from the hermit, but not to sure. He hasn’t move much from what she tells me and she’ll see it open a little from time to time. How would I know if it’s completely dead and will he recover? Wife says the cleaner shrimp hangs at the bottom but doesn’t look to bother it much.

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a IM 30L, 6 months old and has had a water change before leaving to work. I change water every 2 weeks when I get home. I have 5 FW tanks a coral/invert and saltwater QT. Last I checked parameters was 4 weeks ago
F571CFB4-832D-4461-B300-A0C5AC5AD8CF.jpeg

this was from my salifert testing kit. Just recently purchased a Hanna Alk Checker but haven’t got the chance to try out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Doesnt seem dead. Move it up to center of rocks and secure it to rock with a LOOSE rubber band until it establishes itself on that rock

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too crazy about the rubber band on a rock nem idea (it'd have to be very loose), I would put it in a cup or bowl with some live rock rubble or frag plugs or something for it to attach too

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not too crazy about the rubber band on a rock nem idea (it'd have to be very loose), I would put it in a cup or bowl with some live rock rubble or frag plugs or something for it to attach too
It would be very loose and does work

OP
OP
ReeferJay86

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how was it that you moved him? you could have damaged his foot.
He was loose floating around by the rock. The day before he was attached to the middle rock towards the back. I saw the tentacles were real small and shriveled. So I scooped it up into the basket before I hung it. He never left the water.

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was loose floating around by the rock. The day before he was attached to the middle rock towards the back. I saw the tentacles were real small and shriveled. So I scooped it up into the basket before I hung it. He never left the water.
rockflowers like to tuck themselves into things, i suggest you drill a hole in a piece of rubble or 2 and put them in a container.this is what i did with mine and it hasn’t moved since. place the rockflower inside one of the rock holes and place the container on the sandbed where you have the least light and flow. let it be and eventually it will choose a rock or tuck itself into the sb.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back