Can you use a UV sterilizer running full Triton method?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be conflicting messages on this. I have read from multiple people that you can not run UV. I have read on this forum from a Triton rep that you can. I've read all through the triton web pages and nothing says anything about UV sterilisers. I have emailed them asking them about this.
Can one clear this up?

ta

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow interesting question that I don't have a direct answer for but.
I don't know why a UV would mess with the Triton method.
The method is just introducing various elements, not living bacteria or other stuff.

Every Reefer would be effected if UV messed with elements not just Triton

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you reference the thread or source of the ones that say no please?
I would be interested in the theory behind their thinking.

I am suspect of any information to that regard. Just does not add up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi K7

i agree with you in all your points, thats why i was a little confused. i watched a video with BRStv that mentions it, i think its near the last quater of the video if you dont want to watch the full video.

Why not just send it in like any other

Triton says not to use the UV sterilizer. Why did it now change? I thought it killed Bacteria that the triton method needs in the system.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/guide-to-the-triton-method.299187/page-16#post-4898700
page 16, Although the triton rep said you could.

My original concern was the first i heard you couldn't run it was on the video, and then some forums post

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I saw that video the day after it posted. I missed that part of the video or just don't remember it.
Right at the 56min mark for those who want to see it.
Yes they say no based on the fact that Triton is a system all its own.

I don't know and have not done the research yet, but I would think that in the first month or two when cycling I would agree, don't use a UV, with any method. My opinion there.

If as you said, the Triton rep stated go for it in a thread here on R2R, well I would have to go with that over something the BRS team says. I know both Ryan and Randy said Triton stated no, but I almost suspect that was not from actually reading that but rather an assumption because they kind of stated it and looked at each other for conformation, then Ryan said yea don't do it.

Well if I have time in the next few days I will try and go back and review the BRS160 videos, when they started the Triton method. I think they had a UV on the BRS160 when they switched it to the Triton method, I don't remember them addressing it then or removing it, So what does that say? YMMV.

It has been a long while since I have read through the Triton material but I don't recall them covering anything on a UV sterilizer, fore or against.

I currently do not own a UV, and had not planned on adding one but still want to know just in case.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can absolutely run a UV with Triton but I would wait to bring it online until about 9 months to a year to not slow the maturation process and let the biodiversity fully establish prior. I run 50 watts of UV on my Triton tank with no issues.

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like i said before, i agree with everything your saying, so i'm thinking of adding one. my tank is 18mths, and been ruinning triton for about 3mths.
I added marine pure rock, and started to reduce the amount of LR, which i believe has lead me to having another syno breakout. Thats what got me researching UV. The more i research it, the more i'm inclined to run one.

thanks for the replys guys

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like i said before, i agree with everything your saying, so i'm thinking of adding one. my tank is 18mths, and been ruinning triton for about 3mths.
I added marine pure rock, and started to reduce the amount of LR, which i believe has lead me to having another syno breakout. Thats what got me researching UV. The more i research it, the more i'm inclined to run one.

thanks for the replys guys
So, how we're five years down the line! :) Any advice to someone who's thinking of turning on the UV on their Triton tank?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely can. I turned mine on after about a year in my Triton tank. Proof in build thread.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.5%
Back