Can you use grocery store water for your reef tank?

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like many other reefers lived hours away from the closest LFS that sold RODI water for a while. Renting makes a at home RODI setup a hassle as well. So I used the bottled 5 gallon jugs from the grocery store. You hopefully shouldn't have any of the contaminates you might worry about in just straight tap water like copper or worse something like lead but do you have phosphates?
So I decided to test 3 different bottled options and to my suprise none of them had any detectable phosphate!
I just spoiled the whole video but hopefully you'll still maybe watch it or at least subscribe :) I have a Laptop review page that's more popular for obvious reason but enjoy making videos about reef stuff more :)

WaterChart.png

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like many other reefers lived hours away from the closest LFS that sold RODI water for a while. Renting makes a at home RODI setup a hassle as well. So I used the bottled 5 gallon jugs from the grocery store. You hopefully shouldn't have any of the contaminates you might worry about in just straight tap water like copper or worse something like lead but do you have phosphates?
So I decided to test 3 different bottled options and to my suprise none of them had any detectable phosphate!
I just spoiled the whole video but hopefully you'll still maybe watch it or at least subscribe :) I have a Laptop review page that's more popular for obvious reason but enjoy making videos about reef stuff more :)

WaterChart.png

Remember po4 is not the only substance you don’t want in your tank.
Distilled water from the supermarket should be as good as rodi water, just watch it doesn’t have extra minerals added to make it taste better for drinking as some do.

The Hanna checkers for marine are designed for salt water, if you have used plain distilled water that could affect the results.
You could make up salt water with it and then test but make sure the Salt doesn’t contain po4 as some of them do.

OP
OP
Grumblez

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember po4 is not the only substance you don’t want in your tank.
Distilled water from the supermarket should be as good as rodi water, just watch it doesn’t have extra minerals added to make it taste better for drinking as some do.

The Hanna checkers for marine are designed for salt water, if you have used plain distilled water that could affect the results.
You could make up salt water with it and then test but make sure the Salt doesn’t contain po4 as some of them do.

I used the Hanna low range phosphate checker, it's for marine and fresh. You are correct the ultra low range is only for salt water.
Yes the 5 gallon jugs normally have a small amount of calcium and other trace elements added to them but even in my basically fowlr tank it was never enough to cause any parameters to go out of walk.

I actually talk about both off these things in the video :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Hanna low range phosphate checker, it's for marine and fresh. You are correct the ultra low range is only for salt water.
Yes the 5 gallon jugs normally have a small amount of calcium and other trace elements added to them but even in my basically fowlr tank it was never enough to cause any parameters to go out of walk.

I actually talk about both off these things in the video :)
If that is correct then you are good…where did you read that as mine says ‘marine’ with no mention it’s good for plain water in the manual.

I would be uncomfortable using anything but 100% distilled water with no additives.

Good work!

OP
OP
Grumblez

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is correct then you are good…where did you read that as mine says ‘marine’ with no mention it’s good for plain water in the manual.

I would be uncomfortable using anything but 100% distilled water with no additives.

Good work!

If yours says Marine its probably the Ultra lowrange

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used bottled water delivery for years. Sent a sample off as RODI check through Triton and came back good.

This also has a non-obvious upside or two.

The smaller opening designed for water bottle dispensers helps with pouring not being so rushed and messy. The smaller hole also allows for an easier placement of the water change hose without moving around. Makes for easier measurements of 5 gallons because 5 gallons actually fills it, rather than a bucket where you seem to be just short of 5 or spilling. The lip of the spout sits nicely on my ATO reservoir drawer.

I have thought of RODI being homemade, but delivery is so much more convenient, and the water tests fine. Only marginally high silicates.

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I've ever used is grocery store distilled water and real ocean water. Tank is coming along quite well, no water issues at all 5 months in. Ready to add my first coral in one week.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back