Can you use media from a freshwater tank to cycle a new reef tank?

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new reefer here, I will receive my Waterbox AIO 50.3 in about 4 to 6 weeks, but in the meantime my Marco Rocks will get here next week. I was wondering if I could start cycling the rocks in a trash can full RODI water and adding filter media from my 2 freshwater tank with it.

This might be a dumb question but are bacteria from a freshwater tank able to survive in a saltwater environment?

Should I soak the rocks in saltwater right away or plain RODI water is ok?

Thanks

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new reefer here, I will receive my Waterbox AIO 50.3 in about 4 to 6 weeks, but in the meantime my Marco Rocks will get here next week. I was wondering if I could start cycling the rocks in a trash can full RODI water and adding filter media from my 2 freshwater tank with it.

This might be a dumb question but are bacteria from a freshwater tank able to survive in a saltwater environment?

Should I soak the rocks in saltwater right away or plain RODI water is ok?

Thanks

cycle it in salt, the bacteria is not the same.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no not the same but you can still get a jump on it. just rinse the rocks in rodi water to get the dust off. then mix up some saltwater for the can. throw them in the can with some DR Tim's one & only or fritz turbo start for saltwater, dose some ammonium chloride to start the cycle, add a wave maker to the can for circulation & your on your way. if you already have an ato you could put the pump in a 5 gallon bucket with rodi water to mantain the salinity in the can also

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back