Canada and Fish Meds

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you may or may not know, we here in the Great Frozen North have severely restricted access to medications for our fishy friends. Metro, nope. Prazi, nope. General Cure, nope. Heck, it's hard to find copper based stuff.

I am wondering are there any fellow Canuckleheads on here that have suggestions for good meds that we can actually get our hockey gloved hands on? Specifically I am looking for internal parasite treatments, but any and all suggestions are welcome.

No infected fish yet, but I know it's only a matter of time, especially because I want to use black mollies to test my eels tank for Velvet before reintroducing him to my
now Velvet free DT. Don't worry, I plan to keep them happy and healthy in my display, should the test show negative. But according to what I read, mollies will often carry internal tapeworms and other nastiness.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by chance you had a “friend” over the border, What are the chances that customs blocks a friends and family shipment?

Only mentioning this in theory and as a concerned reefer, not trying to break international law. :)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying I would do that, as that is bad, and wrong, but I also don't know anyone down there. That being said, my coppersafe, purchased through Amazon came from the US, which I thought was kind of funky.

Once had a bronze sword glide through customs because the seller wrote "Handmade Fire Poker" on the package.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know any vets/doctors on a personal basis? A lot of these drugs are used in humans and other animals, so it might be worth it to contact a vet and explain to them why you need X medication in Y amount.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know any vets/doctors on a personal basis? A lot of these drugs are used in humans and other animals, so it might be worth it to contact a vet and explain to them why you need X medication in Y amount.

Unfortunately not. However I do believe it would be worthwhile to ask, yes. Don't know her, but I am told the vet in my town is extremely awesome. Worth a shot.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back