Canadian QT protocol?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the disappearance of most fish meds in Canada since December 2018, has anyone come up with any kind of protocol for quarantining with whatever scraps might still be available? I've always done 2 rounds of prazipro 1st week, then carbon, 2 weeks of paraguard, then observation for 2-4 weeks. Paraguard isn't available anymore.

I have a little bottle of prazipro left. What else is still available? How does it fit into a 4-6 week quarantine and observation period?

I'm really asking about a QT protocol, not another discussion on why/what/who/how about the ban on meds. You can find that thread over here.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered TTM? Won't do anything for flukes but works on Ich and Velvet.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM is what I do then observe. I don't medicate unless I see something that needs it but without prazipro (or when it "expires") that will be a huge issue.

How "effective" is Prazi once it expires?

Honestly it is horrible, basically if your fish is sick your options are let it suffer and die or euthanize it. I likely wont get any more fish TBH.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally follow recommended protocol. Two weeks of copper (same time feeding metro soaked food for internal) I then trasfer to sterile tank. And then treat with General Cure. Unfortunately I'm not willing to take the risk with the price of fish. So I go and bring back meds. Depending where your located there are still ways to get the meds you need.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper has a very long shelf life. Get a bottle now and you are good long long term.
Prazipro doesn't seem officially banned ie you can still find it for sale. These are the only 2 medications I typically use (copper only when needed). I have a few other things on hand just in case but they are going to get harder and harder to get. I'm just hoping things will change before my supplies run out. Otherwise if I need something I'll find it.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi seems to be back in these days. A month or two ago no one had it listed on their sites.
I'll have to stock up in case it goes away again.

My LFS went with the nuclear option, and pulled literally everything and deleted the meds section on their site entirely.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get prazipro, general cure, focus, online still from jlaquatics , aquariumdepot has some stuff too. I haven’t seen cupramine around.

CarolynZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this post is a year old, but are any Canadians still finding Prazipro available anywhere? How about Copper Power? Has anybody tried ordering it from the US and it actually getting through customs?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back