Canister Filter question of sorts...

newFishGuy905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm happy I found this forum lots of great information.
I'm new to saltwater but somewhat old to keeping fish, I've kept large freshwater for years. I'm now getting back into the hobby but with saltwater and with an added twist.
I'm DIYing pretty much everything and since I"m a computer programmer by trade so I'm adding in some technology.
Raspberry PI to monitor PH and Temp, and water levels (this is being built) ATO system , also under water camera and low lighting.

Here is my question
I'm going to add a UV sterilizer but I'm wondering if I can take an empty canister filter (no media) and create a close loop system for the tank just to move water in places I will have some coral and also a cave...

Right now my tank is running (75 gallon) with just the sump and it's doing fine but unfortunately I need to move the tank so I'm taking the time to add some things and perfect some things...

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm happy I found this forum lots of great information.
I'm new to saltwater but somewhat old to keeping fish, I've kept large freshwater for years. I'm now getting back into the hobby but with saltwater and with an added twist.
I'm DIYing pretty much everything and since I"m a computer programmer by trade so I'm adding in some technology.
Raspberry PI to monitor PH and Temp, and water levels (this is being built) ATO system , also under water camera and low lighting.

Here is my question
I'm going to add a UV sterilizer but I'm wondering if I can take an empty canister filter (no media) and create a close loop system for the tank just to move water in places I will have some coral and also a cave...

Right now my tank is running (75 gallon) with just the sump and it's doing fine but unfortunately I need to move the tank so I'm taking the time to add some things and perfect some things...

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....
Yeah that should work, though a powerhead should do the same thing I would think? Or maybe I am misunderstanding this - did you want to add a UV sterilizer to the canister filter itself?

OP
OP
N

newFishGuy905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that should work, though a powerhead should do the same thing I would think? Or maybe I am misunderstanding this - did you want to add a UV sterilizer to the canister filter itself?
so I want to add the UV sterilizer in line with the canister filter return... so that the water removed gets sterilized then returned to the tank, without trying to interfere with my sump return..

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are not well regarded in the reefing community. Marine systems are pretty sensitive to nutrient loads so nutrient export is highly regarded.

Canister filters are not well regarded in the reefing community. In order to get nutrient export, you would need to clean them at least twice per week and maybe more. And most people will not do that. So on a function point of view, they are rather pointless.

Nutrient removal can be done by protein skimmers, water changes or algae in a refugium or better yet, a combination.

But if that is what you are used to no one is going to stop you. The reefing police need a warrant from a reefing judge to break down your door and haul off your canister filter in chains. And it has been a long time since a reefing judge has been willing to sign a warrant.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are not well regarded in the reefing community. Marine systems are pretty sensitive to nutrient loads so nutrient export is highly regarded.

Canister filters are not well regarded in the reefing community. In order to get nutrient export, you would need to clean them at least twice per week and maybe more. And most people will not do that. So on a function point of view, they are rather pointless.

Nutrient removal can be done by protein skimmers, water changes or algae in a refugium or better yet, a combination.

But if that is what you are used to no one is going to stop you. The reefing police need a warrant from a reefing judge to break down your door and haul off your canister filter in chains. And it has been a long time since a reefing judge has been willing to sign a warrant.
Just want to point out that op's plan for his canister filter is 100% not for filtration... (well except to chuck the in-line UV sterilizer on).

OP
OP
N

newFishGuy905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The canister filter won't have any media in it... it's only for circulating the water and passing it through the UV sterilizer

Back