Canister filter to sump

Mfrasca85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75gallon tank that I currently have a canister filter set up to. My cabinet doesn't have enough room for a sump but want to put a uv steralizer but don't want it in the tank. Is it possible to use the outake of the canister to put water into a small sump with a uv steralizer and heater and than put a return pump from said sump to the tank?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 75gallon tank that I currently have a canister filter set up to. My cabinet doesn't have enough room for a sump but want to put a uv steralizer but don't want it in the tank. Is it possible to use the outake of the canister to put water into a small sump with a uv steralizer and heater and than put a return pump from said sump to the tank?
I would not do this for a couple reasons:

1. Its going to be hard to gauge the flow, and there is a chance for overflows and underflows (Not entirely sure how you're wanting to do it. But - generally you don't want to be pumping water from your tank into a sump, in case your return pump stops working, etc)
2. You can buy an 'in line' UV sterilizer - that you can hook up to the return of your canister filters so that there is always the correct flow. If you buy the 'shut of valves' you can buy with most canister filters, it will allow you to easily remove your UV for servicing the bulb, etc (and also cleaning the canister).
3. As to the heater I assume you have that in the tank now. You could also consider an inline heater. Hydor makes several.

Another way to do it which is probably best, is to use your canister filter as it is. Then get a hang on the back overflow box to go to your planned 'small sump' and then put the return pump, etc in your small sump.

Hope this helps

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a sunsun canister filter

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of canister?

StarksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the canister and return pump do not have the exact same flow (which is never going to be the case), this solution is gonna overflow your sump or will run it dry.

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some canister filters have a UV sterilizer built in.

But I will echo the above. Its best to get an inline UV sterlizer rather than trying to integrate a sump with the canister.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uv that is in canisters i doubt does much for anything but algea. Inline is the best option

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if this were my system i would probably just remotely locate a sump appropriately sized for my system. the bit of extra effort would go a long way in clearing equipment out of the display in addition to allowing that uv in.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of a different suggestion - if you already have enough biomedia in your aquarium (live rock), the canister filter may not be contributing too significantly anyways, at least in terms of biological filtration.

If so, what I'd suggest is to swap your canister for the sump, moving over what you can/need.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back