Canister filter with an airlift backup?

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about my canister filter on my tank in the event of a poweroutage. Has anyone installed a airline split into the return line to pump air when power cuts out to act as a water lift? Considering the output does a 180 at the top and dives back down into the tank im not sure if any water would flow at all? I am simply looking at options to keep the filter from going totally anaerobic and keeping a trickle of water going.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I understand your question, you are asking about the water in the canister going anaerobic/anoxic. How often do you clean your skimmer? Is your canister being used only for mechanical filtration or for both biological and mechanical (and possibly even chemical) filtration? My understanding is that the amount of time and the amount of organic material will effect the potential negative impact on your system upon restart. The impact of an uplift pump doesn't seem to be the optimal use of power during a power outage for many applications. You may consider taking the top off from the canister and adding an airstone.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your question, you are asking about the water in the canister going anaerobic/anoxic. How often do you clean your skimmer? Is your canister being used only for mechanical filtration or for both biological and mechanical (and possibly even chemical) filtration? My understanding is that the amount of time and the amount of organic material will effect the potential negative impact on your system upon restart. The impact of an uplift pump doesn't seem to be the optimal use of power during a power outage for many applications. You may consider taking the top off from the canister and adding an airstone.
It is being used for chemical and mechanical. Live rock on the tank handles the bio. This is more me trying to find a way to keep the water from going toxic by maintaining some sort of slow flow and preferably something I can automate Incase I am not home. The simplest method I can see is relying on a series of check valves hooked to a battery airpump and inject up the return line. I am not sure however if any flow will be obtained thanks to the over the rim return line. I guess I need to experiment.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another approach is to get an electrical device that trips when the power goes out and requires a reset before the power is reapplied thereby allowing you to clean the canister if the power has been off for more than an hour or two.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not an electrician, but I believe that a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) with manual reset would work for this application:

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea those do usually reset on power outage. However I also get alot of small short term flickers and the canister filter hates battery backups. Good news is i just fed a airline tube about 2 feet into the return jet and gently blew bubbles. It actually moved quite a bit of water up the pipe and into the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back