Canister Filter With UV for Velvet Management...Worth a shot?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a case of what I believe may be velvet due to cross contamination in a FOWLR tank and have been planning to go fallow but was wondering if anyone has tried or think it's worth a try to manage velvet with a canister filter that has a UV built in? Also helping the case is the fact that I just added a load of ocean collected live rock which we all know has a ton of probiotic bacteria all over it. Since this could help boost the fish's immune system, not only would the canister filter be reducing the free swimming parasite population but the fish would also be able to fight it off naturally. (at least in theory) What do you guys think about this idea?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV depends on contact time/flow and wattage vs size of tank. I would assume the same rules apply in a canister. So wether it has any impact at all depends on all those factors. Simply adding any UV will not get the job done. I can’t imagine a canister big enough to fit a good sized UV. My 55w is huge compared to any canister I have seen. Maybe on a nano or something it could be useful.

Typically when you see a rating for this many gallons. They are talking about bacteria and algae. Not parasites, which need a much stronger UV dose.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV depends on contact time/flow and wattage vs size of tank. I would assume the same rules apply in a canister. So wether it has any impact at all depends on all those factors. Simply adding any UV will not get the job done. I can’t imagine a canister big enough to fit a good sized UV. My 55w is huge compared to any canister I have seen. Maybe on a nano or something it could be useful.

Typically when you see a rating for this many gallons. They are talking about bacteria and algae. Not parasites, which need a much stronger UV dose.
it actually is a nano tank (about 10 gallons)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it actually is a nano tank (about 10 gallons)

It may help then (keep in mind UV also sometimes doesn't work at all depending on strain of parasite and how fast it replicates, etc). but I would look at the manufactures rating and power of UV bulb, then control the flow and slow it down with a valve or such and measure the ghp with a stop watch and a timer and a bucket. But not so slow you can't keep the bulb cool. It will say its killing power in microwatts. This is for bacteria but not fish parasites.

Keep in mind that UV's heat the water and could potentially overheat a tank and the higher/slower rate to kill parasites will effect plankton and such.

Seems so much easier to QT fish for a 10g tank and a bucket to me.

The successful tank I know of that cured velvet used a large UV (was a fairly large tank) AND peroxide dosing for 6 weeks on a doser (had to be ramped and dosed every hour through the night). It was the peroxide that cured the velvet, not the UV alone. The UV makes the peroxide stronger though so it was still an important part.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think the flowrate would be low enough and contact time is gonna be very important for parasites. Liveaquaria has a loose guide to it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back