Canister Filters: Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank. True or False?

Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank.

• Agree

Votes: 396 51.2%
  • Disagree

Votes: 198 25.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 158 20.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 2.8%

• Total voters

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you agree or disagree?
Agree.

2. Do you run a canister filter on your reef now or have you in the past?

I've been running canister for 7 years.
20210711_221054.jpg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have worded it wrongly. Let me clarify.
Carbon is different from nitrifying media. Very different.
Nobody would buy a canister just to run carbon, that would be an overkill. Canister filters are primarily designed to contain nitrifying bacteria and provide some limited mechanical filtration (the canisters sponges are way less effective that filter socks. Although if you're only using the canister to polish the water occasionally you could put filter sock material in it). Any carbon that is placed in the canister would be depleted within a couple of weeks.
Now, the primary purpose of the canister is to contain nitrifying bacteria, and in my experience live rock in the DT is usually sufficient. Therefor I don't believe that the canister filter is at all cost effective (or convenient).

The advantage of using a BRS reactor (or any brand really) is that it's much easier to change out the carbon or media. You can probably even run several reactors on a single pump, and keep carbon in one, ceramic media in another and so on.

As for 'tons of people who use media for water clarity and other reasons'. Is the media you're referring to carbon, if so it makes sense to me. But if you're referring to nitrifying media, I would love to know how that helps with water clarity and what those other reasons are.
You can use a canister filter for everything you mentioned you use reactors for. And changing any of the Media is as simple as changing a light bulb. Your idea of a canister filter being primarily for nitrifying bacteria is completely wrong and you know it, if not stop speaking about canisters. If you used one, you would know how they actually work and how easy they are to take care of. Just like a sump these things will get dirty, if you don't like cleaning your equipment then that's your issue not the canister or sumps problem. Stop hating on something you obviously have no idea whatsoever about.

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about canister filters and if you would agree or disagree with the following statement:

"Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank."

1. Do you agree or disagree?

2. Do you run a canister filter on your reef now or have you in the past?

Thanks @adittam for the QOTD idea!
Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 10-52-11 FX6 Canister Filter - Fluval.png

*I just want to follow this thread.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Magnum 350 from a long-ago fresh-water tank. I've recently started to use the Micron Cartridge to filter debris out of the sump when I do tank maintenance.

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a canister filter for everything you mentioned you use reactors for. And changing any of the Media is as simple as changing a light bulb. Your idea of a canister filter being primarily for nitrifying bacteria is completely wrong and you know it, if not stop speaking about canisters. If you used one, you would know how they actually work and how easy they are to take care of. Just like a sump these things will get dirty, if you don't like cleaning your equipment then that's your issue not the canister or sumps problem. Stop hating on something you obviously have no idea whatsoever about.
Seems to me like a lot of people are lazy. Let’s just call it what it is. You don’t maintenance a canister filter every week. Either twice a month or once a month seems to be people’s preference. It literally takes 10-20mins to do what you have to do. For those who can’t pick up their filters obviously you need to not be worried about an aquarium but you need to be hitting the gym. Grab some dumbbells and do some curls. There’s people on YouTube and people on here that say they have no issues with Canister on their reef tanks.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me like a lot of people are lazy. Let’s just call it what it is. You don’t maintenance a canister filter every week. Either twice a month or once a month seems to be people’s preference. It literally takes 10-20mins to do what you have to do. For those who can’t pick up their filters obviously you need to not be worried about an aquarium but you need to be hitting the gym. Grab some dumbbells and do some curls. There’s people on YouTube and people on here that say they have no issues with Canister on their reef tanks.
I clean mine once a month and don't have issues.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No No, Unless you have one for free not a viable option

My first saltwater tank was setup in 1997. Since the LFS told me I need a canister filter I got a fluval. This thing was impossible to get going and when starting it or turning it off I flooded the kitchen in my parents house many times. The real inexpensive way to filter a reef tank is a HOB filter/protein skimmer. Canister filters should be left for freshwater tanks!

first tank.jpeg

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No No, Unless you have one for free not a viable option

My first saltwater tank was setup in 1997. Since the LFS told me I need a canister filter I got a fluval. This thing was impossible to get going and when starting it or turning it off I flooded the kitchen in my parents house many times. The real inexpensive way to filter a reef tank is a HOB filter/protein skimmer. Canister filters should be left for freshwater tanks!

first tank.jpeg
Funny, I see people with Sumps who’s pipes leak. There will be a story on both sides.
funny I don’t have problems starting mine and I don’t even use Fluval

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t sure if this was viable till I was able to read all your experiences. It sound as expensive as a diy sump, also far less complicated. Set it and forget it each week, from what I’m gathering.

I really like the tinkering options when it comes to my sump. The ability to build something so useful with my own hands is a big bonus. I know the canister would not work for my needs because I like to use
my Ato float valve, spyglass reactor and oversized protein skimmer for my tank. Maybe if I had a smaller tank (running on weekly water changes) but the lack of potential upgrades, like a refugium, ats, roller mat, would steer me away. Concealing my doser’s output lines would get tricky too.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard to argue that canister filters arent viable. Theres too many successful tanks running them. I think the more relevant question is why would someone run a canister filter over something like a HOB aquaclear. Canisters can look a lot nicer with glass intake/returns but I cant think of any other reason to use one if your tank is compatible with a HOB. And yes I used a canister for around 15 years on a freshwater tank. HOB filters are cheaper, easier to clean, less prone to leaking, provide better aeration, easier to install (no plumbing), can be used to hide heaters and probes, dosing/ato away from livestock, etc.

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to argue that canister filters arent viable. Theres too many successful tanks running them. I think the more relevant question is why would someone run a canister filter over something like a HOB aquaclear. Canisters can look a lot nicer with glass intake/returns but I cant think of any other reason to use one if your tank is compatible with a HOB. And yes I used a canister for around 15 years on a freshwater tank. HOB filters are cheaper, easier to clean, less prone to leaking, provide better aeration, easier to install (no plumbing), can be used to hide heaters and probes, dosing/ato away from livestock, etc.
I took my aqua clear 110 off because I wanted less in my tank and also not hearing water crash is a plus. I won’t say the water crashing from the HOB isn’t tolerable but the silence is awesome lol. BUT I do have my AC110 on my 40G so…. Lol

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a canister filter gives you more water volume. It's just as easy to clean, Removing and replacing media , if not easier. I had a HOB filter and can see absolute differences. The flow is directional.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my aqua clear 110 off because I wanted less in my tank and also not hearing water crash is a plus. I won’t say the water crashing from the HOB isn’t tolerable but the silence is awesome lol. BUT I do have my AC110 on my 40G so…. Lol
1000 times quieter

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back