Canister Filters: Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank. True or False?

Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank.

• Agree

Votes: 397 51.2%
  • Disagree

Votes: 198 25.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 158 20.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 2.8%

• Total voters

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Pulls a lot of suspended waste"....yes

"Easier to clean".....no........I ran a FX6 for 17 years. To pull out the canister from under the stand, drain and then open it up to clean the contents was a lot of work BUT it is doable. With a sump, it's open...the only thing that gets cleaned is the filter socks and that just requires me to pickup and replace sock.
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I've found cleaning my large canister filter every 3 weeks takes approximately 10 min, maybe less. Good luck cleaning a big sump in 10 min or less...

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with 4 different types of canister filters, FX filters from Fluval, the Eheim, Sun Sun, and some XP star filter. The common theme is that they have no flow indicator, no way of you telling if its clogged or not. So you must do it on schedules.

Just like filter socks, they don't remove anything from the aquarium until the filter itself is cleaned. At least with filter socks, I can load up on 20 of them and change them out daily. Cleaning a canister filter daily is not possible.

Running a cannister filter on a fish heavy tank means a lot of poop. That means more filter cleanings, more salt mix, more time, more advil and heat packs for the sore back.

Canister filter has its uses. If I ran an established reef or planted tank with very minimal fish, I think its doable. If it was a FOWLR, you are asking for trouble. On the FX6, don't believe it when it says good enough for 400g.
Why would it be trouble on a FOWLR?

I've used an large Filstar XP on my big FOWLR for 10+ years. Never once had a problem with it. Takes me 10 min or less to clean it (every 3 weeks, without fail) and replace some of the mechanical and chemical filter media. It's not light weight, but it's certainly not too heavy to lift. It self primes in a couple of min, you plug it back in, and you're good to go for 3 more weeks. No trouble at all.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I've found cleaning my large canister filter every 3 weeks takes approximately 10 min, maybe less. Good luck cleaning a big sump in 10 min or less...
takes me less than 5 min now with a sump

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
takes me less than 5 min now with a sump
To siphon the detritus out of the bottom of an entire sump? And remove accumulated salt creep, etc? In less than 5 min? That's inhumanely quick.

I've seen many sumps that only get the socks changed out. They usually have a half inch of sludge and detritus on the bottom, and salt creep and kalkwasser everywhere. But if you can clean out your entire sump in less than 5 min, I'll have to tip my hat to you.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no visible detritus in sump or salt creep. I have a 40B dt and a 40b sump with 3 socks. Running a Red Sea 200INT for tanks up to 250g

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other... Yes, a suitably sized cannister can handle a reef tank. But No, if you lose power for any length of time, you could wind up dumping a nasty collection of sulfides, anaerobic bacteria, etc. into your system. And, the outage could also result in the elimination of the aerobic bacteria in the cannister that you need to keep your system going...

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an FX4 and FX6 on a cichlid tank for years. They work great as long as you clean them very regularly. Otherwise they are nitrate factories. I dont remember the exact amount i paid for them but I bet I had $650 in them.

Richard1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run my 8ft mixed reef on externals it takes ten mins out your time to do maintenance cleaning ect same as it would do a sump I use one for polishing the water inline with my uv and the other for rowa carbon ect when needed there's no pros and no cons to having either apart from having a hang on skimmer I run a uprated mce600 and a heater in the aquarium the only plus in having a sump really is it has a in built surface skimmer,but every tank is different and so is every person that's the fun part as everyone has there own ideas to integrate into there systems which makes them unique.what works for one might not work for anothe,happy reefing guys
inbound1590671741757273698.jpg

nicksreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defo agree but with a caveat, I’m running 3 nano tanks all at different ages now and at different sizes and all on canisters. I find they do the job ace but you do need to go heavy on the rock and keep on top of water changes!
Forgot to mention… and possibly a bit controversial don’t change or clean them too often! Do of course clean and change but don’t go mad… if the tank is happy then leave it be. The water changes take care of most things

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to add a canister filter to clear out my tank of equipment but my LFS guy convinced me out of it by telling me he had already tried something similar and that the Canister would need regular maintenance which would add to the overall work you do on the tank. He advised against it and instead suggested the AquaClear 110 anywhere online. It can be used as a hang on Sump, a refugium to sustain a population of copepods, you're adding water volume just like a canister which increases overall aquarium water chemistry parameter stability.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to add a canister filter to clear out my tank of equipment but my LFS guy convinced me out of it by telling me he had already tried something similar and that the Canister would need regular maintenance which would add to the overall work you do on the tank. He advised against it and instead suggested the AquaClear 110 anywhere online. It can be used as a hang on Sump, a refugium to sustain a population of copepods, you're adding water volume just like a canister which increases overall aquarium water chemistry parameter stability.
I would go with a canister. I use a fluval fx4 love it. Yes its maintenance but it filters more water and is more efficient than a hob. Just my opinion

Last edited:

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a canister. I use a fluval fx4 love it. Yes its maintenance but it filters more water and is more efficient than a hob. Just my opinion
If I was going to go the canister route, I would probably choose an Oase canister because they're a little more modular but other than that I quite like HOB filters because I can fill them with stuff like chaeto or repurpose them for a nano tank and sit a small skimmer inside to act as a kind of hang on sump.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canister isn’t the only solution. Mine is actually easier to clean than a sump, has chambers for granular filtration and allows my tank to sit closer to the wall with a slim HOB refugium and skimmer. In addition, my canister can be exposed without worrying about pets or children getting into it, but there are pros and cons to both. A comparable sump probably can hold an extra 2 gallons, or so. And, with the right cabinet (which I don’t have), it’s all contained and a cleaner display.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other... Yes, a suitably sized cannister can handle a reef tank. But No, if you lose power for any length of time, you could wind up dumping a nasty collection of sulfides, anaerobic bacteria, etc. into your system. And, the outage could also result in the elimination of the aerobic bacteria in the cannister that you need to keep your system going...
My fluval operates in a siphon manner. No chance of backflow. However it may end up cavitating, and quit pumping I do not know

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back