Canister Filters: Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank. True or False?

Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank.

• Agree

Votes: 397 51.2%
  • Disagree

Votes: 198 25.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 158 20.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 2.8%

• Total voters

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canister for my 45 gallon, and a sump for my 90. I find that I do not have to clean the canister as often. To do it propery ( fluval 350) it takes about 15 minutes every 3 months or so. My 45 gallon sump Requires cleaning more often, and because of the plant light for my algea it gets unwanted algea groth
I ran an FX4 and FX6 on a cichlid tank for years. They work great as long as you clean them very regularly. Otherwise they are nitrate factories. I dont remember the exact amount i paid for them but I bet I had $650 in them.
you can buy pads to help with almost anything for them. Come in sheets and you cut them to size.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g tank that I recently switched from a sump to a Fluval FX6 (probably 2-3 months at this point). Main reason was the noise factor as it's in the living room, and the sound was a little too much at times.

Honestly the tank hasn't even noticed the difference - if anything I think it's doing better.

Big thing about canisters is the media should be upgraded so it's not just 70% filter pads. I have the FX6 loaded with ceramic bioballs I took out of the sump and a little bit of filter padding on the top.

I actually was looking for some recommendations on "upgrades/attachments" for the FX6 (i.e. inline UV Sterilizer or Protein Skimmer).

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the fluval fx4 on my 90 and I can grow anything a sump tank can. I don't get as clean look as a sump system. I hide it with coral and rock. Gsp does a great job for this.
I clean my canister once a month

Uv is a bit tricky because of flow rates.

Last edited:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g tank that I recently switched from a sump to a Fluval FX6 (probably 2-3 months at this point). Main reason was the noise factor as it's in the living room, and the sound was a little too much at times.

Honestly the tank hasn't even noticed the difference - if anything I think it's doing better.

Big thing about canisters is the media should be upgraded so it's not just 70% filter pads. I have the FX6 loaded with ceramic bioballs I took out of the sump and a little bit of filter padding on the top.

I actually was looking for some recommendations on "upgrades/attachments" for the FX6 (i.e. inline UV Sterilizer or Protein Skimmer).
To me Skimmer for sure. I use a canister on my 45, but would not do without my skimmer for sure

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eheim canister
54EEF2C1-2BA2-432A-B6DF-2C090E5D7A19.jpeg
72AB0EFF-1399-425A-AEE6-D056EE6A05F8.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back