Canister to sump questions

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a 5yr established 75g tank about 5mo ago, just set up a sump finally. There's pretty much nothing in the sump, a filter sock a couple small rocks and some filter media between the baffles. My question is, can I just remove the canister now? Wait a week? I mean there's nothing to "seed" but it feels weird just taking it off.

Question 2, that canister is going on a 29g, that has been cycling with all new sand/dry rock for a little over a week, added about 2oz of Dr Tim's on day 1 and another 2oz on day 5 and prime every day... is it safe to assume adding that canister would instantly cycle that tank?? The tank reads no ammonia/nitrites and about 10 nitrates.

Thanks for any help/advice

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use a canister on a tank that's ready for a sump?

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use a canister on a tank that's ready for a sump?
The canister is what the 75g has been running on for 5yrs, we added the sump yesterday, now I'd like to move the 5yr old canister to a new 29gal. We currently have the canister still running alongside the new sump

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not place the canister biomedia in the sump for at least a bit?

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not place the canister biomedia in the sump for at least a bit?
I'd like to use it on the 29g. We ended up with a "surprise" scorpion fish that I'm dying to get in his own tank! I just don't want to jeopardize the 75g trying to hurry things along.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back