Cannot add or upgrade Apex EL system further, too many wires!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently purchased an Apex EL system with Trident and ATKv2 for my Red Sea MAX Nano. I thought, "I'm into tank automation and I'd like a controller that I can centrally manage everything".
However, after purchasing this (working on social media videos now), there's just too many dang wires to connect these devices. I read the info about IOTA "Apex-compatible API" or the like and after speaking with Red Sea, my ReefLED50 will not function with the device since they no longer include AI branded lighting. I also had an Aqamai KPS Nano pump that also would not work with the device and other than AI, I found most of the solutions that were compatible just added more wires.

There are 8 power outlets on this energy bar and I have but only one remaining. I realize that there are many larger tank owners with vendor-specific (non-integration friendly) lighting that require specialized power connections (such as present on this power) bar but I feel that I should be able to power the ATK from the two devices themselves with no module/breakout board/etc. In fact, with voice friendly power options that exist these days - I really don't see a value in the power bar at all - except that the power bar seems like the only thing that is really shown on the dashboard of the Apex. Can't I get some tiles that are more useful (add larger charts, maybe overlay them with other data I have in the home or from peers, etc)?

I can power the Trident from the energy bar, why not the same 24v ATO and why not just make a USB dongle with two analog inputs to read values from the water level sensors?

I'm just not sure what to say here (1 Powerhead, 1 Red Sea Skimmer/Return Pump AIO combo, 1 Red Sea ReefLED 50, 1 Cobalt NeoTherm heater, 1 ATKv2 and 1 Jebao v3.4 Wireless Dosing Pump) except I could not purchase the DOS or related because they will not fit power-wise neither physically in the supplied stand with a 5g Trigger Systems tank.

I don't feel pictures would even really help clarify this further. The real question is how can I simplify this or do I need to look at another solution? I mean the PDU or essentially relayed switched surge protector with stepped up or down DC power is somewhat a turnoff for these newer 2020 onward designs that are smart enabled. I understand the need for them on much larger systems but for most of us, regardless of DC running 8+ hours our power brownouts/blackouts are typically less than a few hours max and my UPS does just fine. It's smart enabled, it has telemetry already and a smart app - I can talk to Alexa and ask it to turn off my heater too if it reads the therm temp is too hot. Why not just let customers plug in their own UPS (PDU or surge suppressor) and use open source to read and switch them?

If there is any options in this setup to reduce even but one aquabus/1link or other power cable?

U

User1

View Badges
Job one falls into cable management. No different than your home audio system, computer panels, etc. There are people here with a metric ton of automation and monitoring, brand neutral, and it is similar. Don't get caught up in the noise about internet of not things, bluetooth, wireless, etc unless you are changing. Take stock of what YOU have and how to declutter it. Also how to make it saltwater, salt creep, splash friendly. Probably one of the best things you can do. Also there is maintenance to consider in case you have to disconnect the piece of equipment and need to fish out the cord.

The biggest challenge facing us hobbyist is the power bricks for lighting and DC pumps. Example I have a pair of Cor 15's that do not have them but my Cor 20 uses one :(. Lighting. My DIY led's have bricks as do my Kessils. More bricks. Oh - my Gyre's...more bricks. My next upgrade I'll be taking stock of pumps and lights to reduce this. One reason why I'm interested in the Coral Care / philips lights and the hydros.

Anyway I don't really have anything other than just continue doing what you are. Take stock of how you could improve it by cable management and installation. That is what I'm doing. Once done then I'll go a step further but I'm not changing my ecosystem because of my laziness ;D

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can power the Trident from the energy bar, why not the same 24v ATO and why not just make a USB dongle with two analog inputs to read values from the water level sensors?

I don't think you have the connections fully figured out. Firstly, the ATK does not need to take up an outlet at all- neither a EB832 outlet, nor a standard power outlet.

You can plug the PMUP directly into the 24v accessory port of the EB832, and then put your ATO code there. The FMM module with the optical sensors can then get everything it needs from the simple Aquabus (Usb) cord.

There is tons of value in the apex energy bar. It features energy data (Wattage of each outlet) so you can set up alerts if any device is drawing an abnormal amount of power. It has programming on each outlet so you can shut off a heater if the tank is getting too warm, turn off your powerheads and returns during feed mode so you don't draw food into the sump, etc. You can shut off the Jebao doser based on pH or your trident results when it inevitably starts to dump too much solution in.

Re DOS: it plugs right into your 1link port on the eb832 like the trident does, for both power and data. It does NOT need an additional power supply, so you can absolutely get it connected to your system with a single cable.

Re UPS: You can already connect a UPS to the apex system. It has power monitoring on the head unit, so you can purchase the 12v power supply for the head unit, plug it into an normal non-UPS outlet, and then plug the eb832 into your UPS. Then the apex detects the power loss on that head-unit port (while remaining powered from the EB832), and can shut off any equipment you deem nonessential. Monitoring remains active.

I think this is a matter of not understanding the full apex capability--- it really is an incredible system when you get it programmed properly!

Last edited:

Bnichols124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only certain products work with neptune systems, i did have the red sea led 50 and aqua mai kps and they dont get programed with an apex. But the g4 radions work and mp40 with put the mobius chip. Anything that just came out by eco tech is on there own system. Anything that is non programmable or essential should be on a normal power strip aka lights, uv etc.

The apex is a powerful weapon espically with a trident.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back