Cannot Catch Kole Tang with Ich

fatbabyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

We adopted a Kole Tang on Tuesday, and added him to our 65 gallon tank. Up until for sure last night I did not see any Ich, but today when I got home I definitely can see about 10 little spots. I went out and got a quarantine tank, prepped it and got it all ready for him... but CANNOT catch him for the life of me. :( I've only been trying with a net which I now know from both an exasperating evening and reading R2R is basically impossible. I've rush ordered a fish trap to get here tomorrow, and am hoping for yall's tips on how to get my Kole Tang in this fish trap as quickly and easily as possible (I know, I know unlikely). I would really like to get him out of this tank before these ichs leave his body.

Any and all tips so welcomed!

P.S. Trial and error is quite the learning tool. Will never not quarantine a fish ever ever again

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the spots you see are from where they have already left the body. All fish will need to be pulled to QT and the display left fallow for 76 days to starve out the parasites.

OP
OP
fatbabyy

fatbabyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the spots you see are from where they have already left the body. All fish will need to be pulled to QT and the display left fallow for 76 days to starve out the parasites.

Thanks for that info! Then I will especially need tips on how to use this fish trap.

OP
OP
fatbabyy

fatbabyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried luring him with food. Even the smallest distraction can help. Leaving the net in their and letting the fish familiarize himself with it also can help.

Thanks! I did try putting the net in to hang out for a bit and feeding, but the tang was on to me from the get go. He only ate whatever floated near his cave and avoided that net like the plague. He's a smart one!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching fish with 2 nets is much easier than 1.

With the fish trap, tangs are usually pretty easy to catch. Put a nori clip in the trap. Grab your favorite beverage and hold on to the fishing line. As soon as he goes in pull the cord :).

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not sure how many fish you have, but since you are going to have to catch all the fish and run them through a treatment, I would ( and have had to do this) remove all the corals and live rock, and lower the water level to a few inches.
This makes catching the fish much easier.
Then put the water, rock and corals back in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back