Cannot get nitrates down from 20 and getting really frustrated

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm about 3 months into having my first reef tank. It's a biocube 32 gal. I have a royal gramma and 2 snails. Ive done multiple water changes and no matter what i do i cannot get my nitrates close to 0. It stays at about 20ppm. The other parameters in my tank are fine. I have a corralife protein skimmer and it's definitely picking up skimmate. Im not sure what else im supposed to do. I change the floss sponge in my media basket. Im hesitant to add chemicals and carbon if i really don't need to. Ive gotten a new test kit and it's reading the same. Any guidance would help. Thanks in advance.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed and how often? How old is your tank, and what fish are you thinking of adding?

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed and how often? How old is your tank, and what fish are you thinking of adding?
I feed mysis shrimp every other day. I give a little at a time to make sure my fish finishes it. And im honestly not sure. Im trying to figure out what i want. I don't want a clown fish. Im thinking about a blenny or some sort of wrasse.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 is fine if you're just getting started. You'll want to stick to the easier softies and LPS at this point anyway. They like 'dirty' water. My NO3 has been 50 for 2 years now. I even grow montipora like crazy. I just stay away from high-end SPS.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 is acceptable for most part ...

this also depends on feeding , other live stock ,
Bio load ....

What goes in , must come out .
i wouldn’t aim for as close to zero as possible ,

I keep mine above 5 as you don’t want zero

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%

Back