Canon 70D which lens and canon 6ti which lens to get?

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m debating between the two cameras. If I go with the 6ti I can get $200-300 but I go with the 70d I can get a $150-200 lens.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 70d. Esp f you’re Reefing. Wider color gamut , better color and iso.

Look for tamron and sigma brands if talking about macro lens prices.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add that I have been really happy with a used canon lens I got on Adorama. They have a pretty wide range of ratings (like 10 different ones from "new" to "for parts only". I saved a couple hundred bucks on my 100mm macro that was rated "D" which the level below new. Only my experience, but that lens new is like $800-$900.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add that I have been really happy with a used canon lens I got on Adorama. They have a pretty wide range of ratings (like 10 different ones from "new" to "for parts only". I saved a couple hundred bucks on my 100mm macro that was rated "D" which the level below new. Only my experience, but that lens new is like $800-$900.
Is this the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens? What type of pictures have you taken (full tank, close up, extention tubes) with the lens?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens? What type of pictures have you taken (full tank, close up, extention tubes) with the lens?
Funny you should ask. I have posted most of my pics with that lens (yes I use the IS lens although probably don't need it since I use a tripod most of the time). Not full tanks, but all coral shots. Just look me up, I am a compulsive shooter and poster. Here are a couple links. I shoot with a T6i.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/examples-using-extension-tubes.350400/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/interesting-pattern-in-my-plesiastrea-coral.347202/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wwc-hot-stuff-chalice-pics.346721/

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t care but seriously though I need help deciding which camera to get?
IMG_1218.jpg
IMG_1219.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quality only slightly.
But the tools to make the quality better are upgraded , if that makes sense.
Iso asa you can go higher without grain, you set more faster color information processing for a wider gamut. Stuff like that.

Get the big one. You won’t regret it really if your into photography.
Well. Not More than buying anything that price. lol.

I’d go to bh camera and Video.
They have a much more thorough comparison and stats list.

I asssume it has more or upgraded processors as well.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quality only slightly.
But the tools to make the quality better are upgraded , if that makes sense.
Iso asa you can go higher without grain, you set more faster color information processing for a wider gamut. Stuff like that.

Get the big one. You won’t regret it really if your into photography.
Well. Not More than buying anything that price. lol.

I’d go to bh camera and Video.
They have a much more thorough comparison and stats list.

I asssume it has more or upgraded processors as well.
I don't know nearly as much technically as @saltyfilmfolks , but I will definitely agree that at higher ISO's grain is a problem with my T6i. Not so much of a problem with corals, that generally sit still, but makes shooting fish just that little bit more challenging (if that makes sense). I'm wishing I'd gone with the better camera, I just didn't know any better. :( That said, the T6i takes good shots. I will also add that the biggest game changer for me was the Macro lens. That did more for my pictures than anything.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know nearly as much technically as @saltyfilmfolks , but I will definitely agree that at higher ISO's grain is a problem with my T6i. Not so much of a problem with corals, that generally sit still, but makes shooting fish just that little bit more challenging (if that makes sense). I'm wishing I'd gone with the better camera, I just didn't know any better. :( That said, the T6i takes good shots. I will also add that the biggest game changer for me was the Macro lens. That did more for my pictures than anything.

Post processing in Lightroom, Photoshop and other applications can greatly reduce graininess. I'd spend extra money on a lens.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post processing in Lightroom, Photoshop and other applications can greatly reduce graininess. I'd spend extra money on a lens.
Not quite true. It mascot some.
But if one camera gets grainy at 1200 iso and the other gets grainy at 2300 iso. I’ll go with the 2300.
Esp if one is running lower pars in the tank.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite true. It mascot some.
But if one camera gets grainy at 1200 iso and the other gets grainy at 2300 iso. I’ll go with the 2300.
Esp if one is running lower pars in the tank.
I agree with you. However, both are aps-c sensors. Yes, the processors are different. But unless going full frame, I still think the glass is best to upgrade.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. However, both are aps-c sensors. Yes, the processors are different. But unless going full frame, I still think the glass is best to upgrade.
Ime , there is a serious difference between sensitivity between models APSC or not.

And , lol, we’re trying to hook the OP up with a Sweet body , and a decent lens as well.

Honestly, were it a Nikon question , is say a d7000 , it’s a cheaper body as it’s older (comprebale to a 7d) and you can find lenses with both focus motor styles (internal and external) including manual , so you have more lens options.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime , there is a serious difference between sensitivity between models APSC or not.

And , lol, we’re trying to hook the OP up with a Sweet body , and a decent lens as well.

Honestly, were it a Nikon question , is say a d7000 , it’s a cheaper body as it’s older (comprebale to a 7d) and you can find lenses with both focus motor styles (internal and external) including manual , so you have more lens options.

I agree with getting a previous model camera body and spend a bit more on the lens. Hope this is okay, but I suggest browsing through the used dept at B&H Photo. I've purchased nearly all my camera gear from them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with getting a previous model camera body and spend a bit more on the lens. Hope this is okay, but I suggest browsing through the used dept at B&H Photo. I've purchased nearly all my camera gear from them.
Smart shopping and patience looking for the deal. Things photographers and reefers have in common.
Yea, b&h is great.

Back