Canopy or lid suggestions for jbj 28g

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
Im hoping someone has experience or knowledge regarding the jbj 28 g nano. Currently i have the stick canopy w leds 26 w 14k and 1 w blue actinics. I wanted to switch my lighting to the aqualife halo for the following reasons:
1) color pop
2) create more distance between corals (i had a couple zoas start bleach as they were placed 10 inches below even after i moved them slowly up (6 weeks) from sand bed 16 in.
3) ability to adjust intensity

Anyway, w the fear of jumpers (firefish), i wanted some input or exp on sources for lids or covers over my tank. The porblem is that the jbj 28 has a slight bowfront. Thx for your input.

IMG_0447.JPG

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx skyjacker and saltyfilmfolks. The brs option looks good but it may not fit right because of the slight bowfront. Ill def check w octo aquatics to see if he can custom a lid. Thx both of you.

mrgster5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this post because I am having the same dilemma, I took the stock lid off of my JBJ 28 nano cube, but I want a mesh lid. I'm not finding anything that's not over $100, why is it so hard to find a custom mesh lid? I can't use the DIY kits because the front of the tank is curved. If anyone has any ideas for what I could use I am up for ideas. Thanks

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I removed the stock light hood on my JBJ 28 and installed a radion XR15. I was looking for a glass or acrylic lid that would keep evaporation to a minimum (and stop jumpers). I decided to make my own. I removed the hood and made a cardboard template in 2 separate pieces. I wanted to be able to feed and make slight adjustments to corals without removing the whole lid. I took the cardboard template to my local glass company and they cut 2 pieces of glass to match the template for $60. I bought a hinge, handle, and rear plastic piece on Amazon.
There was a plastic tab on each side of the top lip that held the plastic arms for keeping the hood open. I took a hacksaw blade and small vacuum (so the plastic particles wouldn't fall into the water) and cut them off. It took me longer to get the tools out than to cut them off. I then made a couple notches in the back plastic guard that attached to the glass for cords and temp probes. The whole project cost me less than $100. I love it and would never go back to the hood. The radion made a big difference in my corals, both in color and growth. I did have to turn it up a little to account for the par loss from the glass. No big deal because I wasn't running it to full power anyway.
20210330_164218.jpg
20210330_164251.jpg
20210330_164239.jpg
20210330_164233.jpg

mrgster5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I removed the stock light hood on my JBJ 28 and installed a radion XR15. I was looking for a glass or acrylic lid that would keep evaporation to a minimum (and stop jumpers). I decided to make my own. I removed the hood and made a cardboard template in 2 separate pieces. I wanted to be able to feed and make slight adjustments to corals without removing the whole lid. I took the cardboard template to my local glass company and they cut 2 pieces of glass to match the template for $60. I bought a hinge, handle, and rear plastic piece on Amazon.
There was a plastic tab on each side of the top lip that held the plastic arms for keeping the hood open. I took a hacksaw blade and small vacuum (so the plastic particles wouldn't fall into the water) and cut them off. It took me longer to get the tools out than to cut them off. I then made a couple notches in the back plastic guard that attached to the glass for cords and temp probes. The whole project cost me less than $100. I love it and would never go back to the hood. The radion made a big difference in my corals, both in color and growth. I did have to turn it up a little to account for the par loss from the glass. No big deal because I wasn't running it to full power anyway.
20210330_164218.jpg
20210330_164251.jpg
20210330_164239.jpg
20210330_164233.jpg
This looks great, thank you!

Sweetpea1301

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210330_164218.jpg
20210330_164251.jpg
20210330_164239.jpg
20210330_164233.jpg
Hi Lumpster, can you link to the hinge and handle that you used? Thanks!

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
Im hoping someone has experience or knowledge regarding the jbj 28 g nano. Currently i have the stick canopy w leds 26 w 14k and 1 w blue actinics. I wanted to switch my lighting to the aqualife halo for the following reasons:
1) color pop
2) create more distance between corals (i had a couple zoas start bleach as they were placed 10 inches below even after i moved them slowly up (6 weeks) from sand bed 16 in.
3) ability to adjust intensity

Anyway, w the fear of jumpers (firefish), i wanted some input or exp on sources for lids or covers over my tank. The porblem is that the jbj 28 has a slight bowfront. Thx for your input.

IMG_0447.JPG
Love your aquascape. I have the exact tank and I’m experiencing the same problems

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this post because I am having the same dilemma, I took the stock lid off of my JBJ 28 nano cube, but I want a mesh lid. I'm not finding anything that's not over $100, why is it so hard to find a custom mesh lid? I can't use the DIY kits because the front of the tank is curved. If anyone has any ideas for what I could use I am up for ideas. Thanks
I never did find one. I sucked it up and paid $150 for the kraken lid

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back