Cant control ammonia in QT

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what my issue is with qt but i am falling into this pattern of not being able to stabilize ammonia with water changes.

its a 10 gal with a hob filter and air stone. I currently have a 1.5in royal gramma and a 2in leopard wrasse in there going through copper.

Feeding about 1/4 of a frozen cube of either mysis or other frozen food. At the end i always try to turkey baste as much leftovers out as i can.

using red sea test and ammonia alert badge.

Day 1: ammonia 0
Day2: ammonia 0
Day 3: ammonia off the charts! Gramma looking rough.
- 5 gal water change = ammonia 1.8
- 9 gal water change later = ammonia .8 fish looks better but kinda wanna get them outta there….

decreasing incredibly slow. What am i doing wrong?! Should i get these guys in the DT (source says wrasse was coppered for a week and the gramma at least that)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add cycling bacteria? Any sort of bio-sponge in the filter? If not, add that. You can also add a filter pad under the sponge to rinse frequently after a day or two of when you added a whole and oversized bottle of cycling bacteria (NOT a mix like microbacter7)

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try establishing a sponge filter in your sump prior to starting a quarantine tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Two likelihoods would be possible false readings especially if using an ammonia badge or api test kits. Not saying their always wrong but wrong many times
Second would be lack of filtration as you in essence are running a freshwater water tank setup into saltwater. A power filter is acceptable for quarantine but will not maintain the number of chemical changes that occur especially the first few weeks.
your filter is mechanical filtration but you lack chemical and biological filtration and have little to deal with nitrogen cycle and waste
No skimmer or water flow via power heads is going to be a very short game of patience
What substrate and salt are you using?
What test kits are you using?
What salt tester are you using?
Any pics under white lighting?

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes bacteria seeded sponge is in there that i had let soak in my sump for a few weeks.

i did not add additional bacteria this time but did on my first QT with this tank but ran into the same issue.

it is a new qt tank this is the second qt ive done with it. That said ive been told qt tanks dint need to cycle?

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two likelihoods would be possible false readings especially if using an ammonia badge or api test kits. Not saying their always wrong but wrong many times
Second would be lack of filtration as you in essence are running a freshwater water tank setup into saltwater. A power filter is acceptable for quarantine but will not maintain the number of chemical changes that occur especially the first few weeks.
your filter is mechanical filtration but you lack chemical and biological filtration and have little to deal with nitrogen cycle and waste
No skimmer or water flow via power heads is going to be a very short game of patience
What substrate and salt are you using?
What test kits are you using?
What salt tester are you using?
Any pics under white lighting?
Minimal sand in a tupperware for the wrasse. All else is bare bottom.

reef crystals tested at 1.025 by salt refractometer which is calibrated accurately.

red sea test kit and hanna.

earlier photo below : pre fish
B6CEE3B9-54DE-4566-AF96-C1F88C59B08B.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said ive been told qt tanks dint need to cycle?
Quarantine and hospital tanks don't "NEED" to be cycled, especially if you need to set one up quickly for an emergency, but any uncycled tank (with fish) will need frequent large water changes to remain suitable for livestock...

Best plan (and it sounds like you may have done this to a certain extent) is to add media from a cycled tank and extra bacteria to handle the relatively large bioload (i.e. size of the tank/amount of waste and extra food, etc), and plan for frequent water changes.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we thinking 50% WC daily?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Minimal sand in a tupperware for the wrasse. All else is bare bottom.

reef crystals tested at 1.025 by salt refractometer which is calibrated accurately.

red sea test kit and hanna.

earlier photo below : pre fish
B6CEE3B9-54DE-4566-AF96-C1F88C59B08B.jpeg
Ok- this is a quarantine tank. Water changes help,,,, are you medicating tank with anything?
As suspected- ammonia badge
Badges work in both salt and freshwater and Lise efficiency as time goes on
I would suggest to verify its accuracy by taking a water sample to a reliable LFS that does not use API test kits and have them test for you and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Matrix (no sand) for my QT along with an instant starter. Has worked very well. If you are not using any medications yet, Prime will buy you time to address the ammonia. Poly Filter will pull it out.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biospira works pretty quick to cycle QT tanks when I used it. Just be careful not to cause a bloom.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
same here. 20 long, had sponge in sump for 2 weeks, took bioballs from 3 month old filter. let it cylcle for 2 weeks. added ammo to abou 2ppm, next day 0. added a small fox face and 2 cardinals was ok for a week. added copprsafe and ammo spiked to 2ppm. added 2 small pieces live rock, no change. doing 10 gal water changes every 3 days, thats about 60% to keep it between 1-2 ppm. ammo badge, salifert and now red sea. i think its the copper killing bacteria

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes bacteria seeded sponge is in there that i had let soak in my sump for a few weeks.

i did not add additional bacteria this time but did on my first QT with this tank but ran into the same issue.

it is a new qt tank this is the second qt ive done with it. That said ive been told qt tanks dint need to cycle?

Just go ahead and add a bottle of bacteria and call it a day.

Back