Cant figure out what fish I want next

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I have a Royal Gramma, a trochus snail and I just bought a medium sized turbo snail. My tank is a 32 gal biocube. I cant figure out what fish I want next. I dont want to get a clown fish without an anemone and I dont want an anemone in my first tank. So, what are your opinions? Its going to be a reef tank, so that limits my options for fish even further. Thanks in advance.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a baby trigger. Triggers are my favorite fish and have had them in every tank for the last 35+ years. Currently I have 5 in my mixed reef.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...or you could just go for a white spot pygmy filefish if you want the basic trigger shape without the fear that it'll outgrow that 32g in six months. Not only are they capable of interesting hovering behaviour, but they'll also provide you with different shades/colours on occasion, and are pretty smart.

I'd also add more to your CUC. Two snails is kind of sparse for a 32g.

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a baby trigger. Triggers are my favorite fish and have had them in every tank for the last 35+ years. Currently I have 5 in my mixed ree

I would add a baby trigger. Triggers are my favorite fish and have had them in every tank for the last 35+ years. Currently I have 5 in my mixed reef.
Okay i have a few questions though. Aren't trigger fish aggressive? And even if i get a baby trigger fish it'll still outgrow my tank won't it?

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...or you could just go for a white spot pygmy filefish if you want the basic trigger shape without the fear that it'll outgrow that 32g in six months. Not only are they capable of interesting hovering behaviour, but they'll also provide you with different shades/colours on occasion, and are pretty smart.

I'd also add more to your CUC. Two snails is kind of sparse for a 32g.
I only have a light amount of diatoms in my tank. I haven't seen any other algae yet, so as things change I'll add more CUC. And i saw filefish they're pretty cool. And yeah the trigger fish will get too big so i don't think that'll work.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i have a few questions though. Aren't trigger fish aggressive? And even if i get a baby trigger fish it'll still outgrow my tank won't it?
They aren't really that aggressive, they ignore the other fish in the tank except for there own kind but even those are minor squabbles from time to time. Keeping them well fed and having lots of rock for them to chill or sleep in really helps.
They will grow but slowly in a smaller tank and eventually stop untill they go in a larger tank.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't really that aggressive, they ignore the other fish in the tank except for there own kind but even those are minor squabbles from time to time. Keeping them well fed and having lots of rock for them to chill or sleep in really helps.
They will grow but slowly in a smaller tank and eventually stop untill they go in a larger tank.

They don't pick at your LPS or acans?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some kind of blennie and goby.
I read there really good algae eaters but most eat anything.
I got a gold streaked blennie and read often it a herbivore only,but mine eats frozem mysis and another frozen food with mixed food in it.
But if get a yashi goby or yellow watchman goby or any goby that will pair with a pistol shrimp and they make burrows/ tunnels so interesting or just goby on its own.and most blennies/ goby's i see minimum tank size needed 10- 30gallon.
Im new to saltwater and only got 3 out the 10 fish i want so far but trying get in the end fish that inhabit different parts the tank.like some on sand bed,some on rocks. And some swimming/ grazing etc.
And 6- 7 of my 10 fish will have a job in tank to help me .
Alot recommemd pygama cardinal or banghai cardinals.me personally dont want them as they just hover in one spot all day or so ive read.but maybe you like look of these.
File fish or a dart fish.
Buf you can look on live aquaria website and see how fish look/ temperment, tank size/what it mainly eats and lots more information

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't pick at your LPS or acans?
They actually ignore every coral and I have alot of different types. The only one of the bunch that does is my Clown trigger, every once in a while he likes to bite 1 certain smooth skinned acro colony, so I leave that in there for him. The rest of the acropora's, sps, lps, etc... don't get touched by him or any of the other 4 triggers in there. The hermits have all become nocturnal, smart little guys and the snails are completely ignored. I actually like fish more than corals. Here's a pic and vid of them, in the vid there getting into a frenzy as I'm holding the cup of food in my hand then dump some in towards the end.

20210513_154816.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually ignore every coral and I have alot of different types. The only one of the bunch that does is my Clown trigger, every once in a while he likes to bite 1 certain smooth skinned acro colony, so I leave that in there for him. The rest of the acropora's, sps, lps, etc... don't get touched by him or any of the other 4 triggers in there. The hermits have all become nocturnal, smart little guys and the snails are completely ignored. I actually like fish more than corals. Here's a pic and vid of them, in the vid there getting into a frenzy as I'm holding the cup of food in my hand then dump some in towards the end.

20210513_154816.jpg

I see the water on the floor.is that blue trigger actually spitting water out the tank or is it just splashing ?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that was kinda the reason I filmed it because I've never had a Niger trigger like this one, as soon as I turn off the pumps and until I dump the food in he just goes crazy spitting water out of the tank, he could probably empty all the water untill the food went in ;). Its funny actually as I curse him my wife is laughing the whole time.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210513_154816.jpg

Pink tail triggers are my favourite .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210513_154816.jpg

Is that a squirrel fish flapping it’s tail after the food drops ?
Another beautiful fish but the one I had grew too big .
he was a a hole

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some kind of blennie and goby.
I read there really good algae eaters but most eat anything.
I got a gold streaked blennie and read often it a herbivore only,but mine eats frozem mysis and another frozen food with mixed food in it.
But if get a yashi goby or yellow watchman goby or any goby that will pair with a pistol shrimp and they make burrows/ tunnels so interesting or just goby on its own.and most blennies/ goby's i see minimum tank size needed 10- 30gallon.
Im new to saltwater and only got 3 out the 10 fish i want so far but trying get in the end fish that inhabit different parts the tank.like some on sand bed,some on rocks. And some swimming/ grazing etc.
And 6- 7 of my 10 fish will have a job in tank to help me .
Alot recommemd pygama cardinal or banghai cardinals.me personally dont want them as they just hover in one spot all day or so ive read.but maybe you like look of these.
File fish or a dart fish.
Buf you can look on live aquaria website and see how fish look/ temperment, tank size/what it mainly eats and lots more information
+1 on the blenny, my favorite, tons of character.

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want a clown that is fine, but they don't *need* an anemone and will be perfectly happy without one.

I have a bicolor blenny which is okay, but he hides all the time and unfortunately his little hole is facing the back of the tank. At some point I might rotate that rock to face the front. I used to have a watchman goby, but they hide a lot as well.

I have a pair banngai cardinals which I personally think are beautiful fish and are open swimmers so they are out and about.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back