Cant figure this out....Magnetic pumps and titanium heaters? Not possible?

Crytpotank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super confused here! start off by saying Im not an electrician, sorry if anything stupid.

I recently discovered I have stray voltage in my tank (assuming its my magnetic MP40s). However nothing shows up on my Volt meter until I plug in my BRS Titanium heaters (have put heaters in separate bucket - no voltage at all)? I also bought a grounding probe to remove any stray electricity and that only makes it worse, it doubles the voltage in the tank when I plug in my grounding probe?? Any ideas here?? Anything Im not considering?

Image below showing what meter reads as everything is on and grounding probe is in.

My brother is thinking maybe you cannot have a magnetic pump and a titanium heater? If I get a glass heater will this solve?
Voltage .jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 1.13V which is extremely low in a reef tank. Nothing abnormal and I definitely wouldn't worry about it.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super confused here! start off by saying Im not an electrician, sorry if anything stupid.

I recently discovered I have stray voltage in my tank (assuming its my magnetic MP40s). However nothing shows up on my Volt meter until I plug in my BRS Titanium heaters (have put heaters in separate bucket - no voltage at all)? I also bought a grounding probe to remove any stray electricity and that only makes it worse, it doubles the voltage in the tank when I plug in my grounding probe?? Any ideas here?? Anything Im not considering?

Image below showing what meter reads as everything is on and grounding probe is in.

My brother is thinking maybe you cannot have a magnetic pump and a titanium heater? If I get a glass heater will this solve?
Voltage .jpeg
“It doubles the value when I add the grounding probe.”

If everything else is correct, than you have stray voltage on your ground. This feels very logical.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“It doubles the value when I add the grounding probe.”

If everything else is correct, than you have stray voltage on your ground. This feels very logical.
It's possible but I suspect it is meter error. Meters display AC voltage in terms of RMS (Root Mean Squared) voltage. Oversimplified, it can be thought of as the average effective voltage on each side of the sine wave. On less expensive meters, this is done via a calculation assuming a perfect sine wave at 60 hertz. I would guess that voltage isn't actually going up with the ground probe, only that at these very low voltages that the actual frequency and waveform shape is being distorted enough to falsely give a slightly higher reading.

Hopefully I explained that ok. Most people assume that our 120VAC systems have a peak voltage of 120V which is not correct. To convert 120VAC from an RMS value to a peak value you divide it by 0.707 which gives us a roughly 170V peak on the waveform.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the symbols to the right of the numbers in the pictured readout it looks like he has the meter set to Ohms.
You could be right. I can't see it clearly, but it does look like the top symbol may be a diode indicating a continuity test....

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back