Can't find this one anywhere.

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:wave:

New to here, not new to saltwater aquariums. This is my second one, and doing it different this time.

Taking advantage of living on an island (recently moved to Hawaii), and seeing how cheap I can be.

10g Marineland tank. $40
Aquaclear 70 $50
15# Argonite ~ $20
Live rock $50.
mad.gif

HIPARGERO LED $60
Saltwater $0
2 Hermit crabs $1.50

---------------------------------
$171.50

Using natural ocean water and starting out with live rock and hermit crabs. Hawaiian laws prohibit taking of live rock or coral so I went with "grown" live rock that the LFS does. Takes about 3 years for them to go from dead to sale.

Trying out this LED setup and see if it will grow any coral. Has really good reviews and is quite reasonably priced. Wasn't going to spring for an AI Prime or EoTech for this tiny tank.

Will be doing weekly water changes of at least 10% which is probably overkill, but no reason not to since it is free. A state run fishery has a pipeline that runs 2+miles off shore to bring in clean oceanwater for the fishery, and they were awesome enough to put a spigot out for all the hobbyists on the island to use for free. Natural, perfect salt water for free in any quantity. The Waikiki aquarium is unique in that it uses all natural water and sunlight, no artificial lighting in most tanks, it is a really cool place. They also give you free water from their system if you are a member. I'll probably end up becoming a member and volunteering there in the future, but either way I have free water.

So no water testing, no mixing water, no cycling, and into a tank ready to go for under $200. Hard to beat. I'll eventually get a baby fish out of the ocean and put it in there then release it once it is big enough. Probably get a softie or two from the LFS, illegal to remove coral from the ocean as well. Was at the beach yesterday and saw some super awesome baby pipefish (may have been trumpet, too small to tell at a distance), Sgt Majors, and several others I could not identify. You guys would be mad as F if you saw the prices of fish here. Large flame angel for like $25. Christmas wrasse ~$20 etc. I think the most expensive thing I saw was a huge softball sized hairy hermit crab for $70.

The filter is a little strong on the flow now, creating a hole in the sand, so I have to rig that somehow to reduce the flow a little or put in some more rock to disperse the flow. Pretty stoked to have a tank again and really excited to see how this kind of set up works.

Some pics of set up and inhabitants, as well as the mystery hitchhiker. Looks like a little watermelon. Can't find it in any hitchhiker guides I've found on the net.

I love the rock shape.

25558437269427583541.jpg

Tiny crab I haven't seen again so not sure on species yet.

86763978575259581310.jpg

Blue coraline algae??

39856865998417422002.jpg

Crabbah

64924628464226062602.jpg

O Hai.

24393131626734374883.jpg

HC#2 (baby limpet on its shell?)

61045154629126733317.jpg

So any help you can give in identifying the green thing would be greatly appreciated.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks similar to a barnacle to me, but @KJ is the master of ID.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:wave:

New to here, not new to saltwater aquariums. This is my second one, and doing it different this time.

Taking advantage of living on an island (recently moved to Hawaii), and seeing how cheap I can be.

10g Marineland tank. $40
Aquaclear 70 $50
15# Argonite ~ $20
Live rock $50.
mad.gif

HIPARGERO LED $60
Saltwater $0
2 Hermit crabs $1.50

---------------------------------
$171.50

Using natural ocean water and starting out with live rock and hermit crabs. Hawaiian laws prohibit taking of live rock or coral so I went with "grown" live rock that the LFS does. Takes about 3 years for them to go from dead to sale.

Trying out this LED setup and see if it will grow any coral. Has really good reviews and is quite reasonably priced. Wasn't going to spring for an AI Prime or EoTech for this tiny tank.

Will be doing weekly water changes of at least 10% which is probably overkill, but no reason not to since it is free. A state run fishery has a pipeline that runs 2+miles off shore to bring in clean oceanwater for the fishery, and they were awesome enough to put a spigot out for all the hobbyists on the island to use for free. Natural, perfect salt water for free in any quantity. The Waikiki aquarium is unique in that it uses all natural water and sunlight, no artificial lighting in most tanks, it is a really cool place. They also give you free water from their system if you are a member. I'll probably end up becoming a member and volunteering there in the future, but either way I have free water.

So no water testing, no mixing water, no cycling, and into a tank ready to go for under $200. Hard to beat. I'll eventually get a baby fish out of the ocean and put it in there then release it once it is big enough. Probably get a softie or two from the LFS, illegal to remove coral from the ocean as well. Was at the beach yesterday and saw some super awesome baby pipefish (may have been trumpet, too small to tell at a distance), Sgt Majors, and several others I could not identify. You guys would be mad as F if you saw the prices of fish here. Large flame angel for like $25. Christmas wrasse ~$20 etc. I think the most expensive thing I saw was a huge softball sized hairy hermit crab for $70.

The filter is a little strong on the flow now, creating a hole in the sand, so I have to rig that somehow to reduce the flow a little or put in some more rock to disperse the flow. Pretty stoked to have a tank again and really excited to see how this kind of set up works.

Some pics of set up and inhabitants, as well as the mystery hitchhiker. Looks like a little watermelon. Can't find it in any hitchhiker guides I've found on the net.

I love the rock shape.

25558437269427583541.jpg

Tiny crab I haven't seen again so not sure on species yet.

86763978575259581310.jpg

Blue coraline algae??

39856865998417422002.jpg

Crabbah

64924628464226062602.jpg

O Hai.

24393131626734374883.jpg

HC#2 (baby limpet on its shell?)

61045154629126733317.jpg

So any help you can give in identifying the green thing would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome, thanks for sharing, comrade

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll still have to test. Especially if you have no basis for what the water you are using is at, which may slightly fluctuate from time to time

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll still have to test. Especially if you have no basis for what the water you are using is at, which may slightly fluctuate from time to time

Can't say I agree with you. The amount of change in the water will be minimal, and it is the water that the animals live in year round. Time will tell if my approach is correct or not.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I agree with you. The amount of change in the water will be minimal, and it is the water that the animals live in year round. Time will tell if my approach is correct or not.
If levels are ideal. How will the water change replenish what is used, it would bring it up, but not to ideal, since elements have been used to grow

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If levels are ideal. How will the water change replenish what is used, it would bring it up, but not to ideal, since elements have been used to grow

I don't think it will be a problem considering the amount and frequency of changes I will be doing. Did the first one recently and ended up doing a 50% change. No reason to do less really.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will be a problem considering the amount and frequency of changes I will be doing. Did the first one recently and ended up doing a 50% change. No reason to do less really.
Don’t think you really understand what I’m saying. Best of luck.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He's right though. Unless you are constantly circulating water from the ocean or doing 100% water changes, the parameters could change drastically in as little as 24 hours. Corals, invertebrates, sponges, and algae will use up elements, livestock excrement will add toxicity, salinity will change. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think you really understand what I’m saying. Best of luck.

I get it. Organisms will use up certain components of the water, ie calcium, potassium, magnesium etc, to build their structures or just maintain their selves. Your assertion is that what is used will not be replenished if I do not dose. Mine is that the amount used will be negligible in relation to the amount available and the large water changes will be more than enough to replenish the components.

I'm not running a huge colony of SPS who would suck up all the calcium before it could be replaced. Right now it is hermit crabs and live rock. In the future, a fish and maybe some LPS. At full load, the inhabitants will not be consuming the components faster than they are replenished.

In the end I cold be wrong and will fully admit it if I am. However, only time will tell and I'll keep the board updated on the tank's progress.

Don't assume diagreement means a lack of understanding or ignorance. It is only a different view of the situation.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As close as anything I've found. Much rather it be a sponge than algae.
Sorry to necro an old post, but I don't think it is a Codium bursa based on the location of op. Also, wanted to say that Codium bursa is indeed a macroalgae, not a sponge, despite it's name.

Based on your location (Hawaii) it is more likely to be Bornetella sphaerica, or the spherical seaweed.
Here is a picture from Keoki of it. Notice the patterning on the seaweed.

5DE0AD8F-40F9-41BB-BBD0-8FAE05F56222.png

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to necro an old post, but I don't think it is a Codium bursa based on the location of op. Also, wanted to say that Codium bursa is indeed a macroalgae, not a sponge, despite it's name.

Based on your location (Hawaii) it is more likely to be Bornetella sphaerica, or the spherical seaweed.
Here is a picture from Keoki of it. Notice the patterning on the seaweed.

5DE0AD8F-40F9-41BB-BBD0-8FAE05F56222.png

You're awesome, great find! Thank you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back