Cant fix algae

SlimJim009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an algae problem for months now and I cant seem to fix it. I test my water with api test kits (i will be upgrading soon) and my nitrates are very low but my phosphates are at about 1. My rodi water tests 1 also for phosphates and im not sure why. I believe its the phosphates causing it but im not sure. Last night I installed a gfo/carbon reactor and my api test kit still says 1 for phosphates. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

20201028_141726.jpg

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have a few different issues going on here:
  1. Stop using API test kits - they are not accurate for N & P
  2. You have Dinoflagellates. Don't try to lower your nutrients, it will make it worse
  3. Your RODI should not have any P coming out of it, I would start there, get better test kits and fix RODI issues if you indeed have them.
For Dinoflagellates there's plenty of reading material on the forum, you have days of reading ahead of you.

OP
OP
S

SlimJim009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a few different issues going on here:
  1. Stop using API test kits - they are not accurate for N & P
  2. You have Dinoflagellates. Don't try to lower your nutrients, it will make it worse
  3. Your RODI should not have any P coming out of it, I would start there, get better test kits and fix RODI issues if you indeed have them.
For Dinoflagellates there's plenty of reading material on the forum, you have days of reading ahead of you.
What is a recomended tssring kit?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, the important factor is consistent point of reference. I know Red Sea are not super exact, but I also know I will not get a 0 reading where my nitrates are at 100 (yes I hate API that much).

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back