Can't get lawnmower blenny to eat.

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lawnmower blenny about 6-7 months ago. Ever since day 1 it has shown no interest in any food. I have tried: formula one and two pellets, brine shrimp flakes, ocean nutrition green and red marine algae sheets, ocean nutrition frozen formula two, frozen fish eggs, frozen mysis, spirulina pellets and finally, seaweed extreme pellets (I have also tried adding garlic oil in the majority of these foods) (just imagine that my DRAGONET eats almost all of the foods above). In the past 2 months, algae in my tank has reduced significantly and coralline has started taking over. The blenny right now literally looks at the verge of starving to death.

The trick I have tried but with no success is: Whenever I turn off the return pump, the blenny goes into the return tube because there is algae on the inside, that can't be eaten while the return is on. I have tried putting foods in there after I turn off the return, the blenny totally ignores the food and if it takes by accident a bite of whatever is added in the tube, it leaves immediately. Whenever I put a nori sheet in there, the blenny might try to "clean the algae off the nori sheet" (if it is placed flat against the tube), as if it was a piece of rock (no interest in biting it), then the nori wobbles a bit the blenny gets scared and leaves again.

Is there anything else I could do?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blennies almost exclusively graze on rocks, etc. (wherever they can find algae growing). I had one that did eat mysis - but this one was the rare exception to the rule.

The current lawnmower blenny I have won't touch anything except rocks and the algae-encrusted glass on the back of the tank (not even the powerheads where algae is plentiful).

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people do seem to have a problem getting them to eat, some take to prepared foods while others never do. Not sure about people’s experiences with their close cousin the Starry Blenny.
My starry eats literally anything I put in the tank, from frozen shrimp, pellets, flakes, algae tablets, and nori. I know that Starry Blennies are a bit different than lawnmowers as their entire diet does not only consist of algae, and I would say mine does a pretty bad job of eating the algae around my tank and definitely prefers the meaty foods I feed him.

Has OP tried algae tablets that sink to the bottom of the tank? My foxface and starry blenny love them, I have to put in 2-3 when I feed just so they won't fight over them.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My starry eats literally anything I put in the tank, from frozen shrimp, pellets, flakes, algae tablets, and nori. I know that Starry Blennies are a bit different than lawnmowers as their entire diet does not only consist of algae, and I would say mine does a pretty bad job of eating the algae around my tank and definitely prefers the meaty foods I feed him.

Has OP tried algae tablets that sink to the bottom of the tank? My foxface and starry blenny love them, I have to put in 2-3 when I feed just so they won't fight over them.
The spirulina pellets I have tried, actually are big algae pellets that sink in the bottom.. No interest at all.. The thing is that it knows it is feeding time, it knows when I am about to turn off the pumps to feed and even though it sees everybody else eat, it just won't care.

Has anybody tried feeding caulerpa or chaeto?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caulerpa and chaeto, and the lawnmower blenny ignores it.

What he does eat, is TDO pellets. I feed a large variety of foods, and the only one mine eats are the tdo, larger size meant for 2inch fish.

The very first time I fed them he showed a lot of interest, and kept picking one up and spitting it out. Now everytime I feed one he darts after it and eats 1 or 2 of them, more if they float around the tank for a while.

I always thought it was weird, because I soak it in selco and its not a plant based food. But he likes it.

I tested after reading this post the other day, and he eats them even if I don't use selco, or presoak to soften in water, but he spends a while chewing it and spitting it out.

Prior to this, he ate no foods other than diatoms, algae, and cyano.

Now he will also eat those hakari algae wafers, that's a recent development.

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lawnmower blenny about 6-7 months ago. Ever since day 1 it has shown no interest in any food. I have tried: formula one and two pellets, brine shrimp flakes, ocean nutrition green and red marine algae sheets, ocean nutrition frozen formula two, frozen fish eggs, frozen mysis, spirulina pellets and finally, seaweed extreme pellets (I have also tried adding garlic oil in the majority of these foods) (just imagine that my DRAGONET eats almost all of the foods above). In the past 2 months, algae in my tank has reduced significantly and coralline has started taking over. The blenny right now literally looks at the verge of starving to death.

The trick I have tried but with no success is: Whenever I turn off the return pump, the blenny goes into the return tube because there is algae on the inside, that can't be eaten while the return is on. I have tried putting foods in there after I turn off the return, the blenny totally ignores the food and if it takes by accident a bite of whatever is added in the tube, it leaves immediately. Whenever I put a nori sheet in there, the blenny might try to "clean the algae off the nori sheet" (if it is placed flat against the tube), as if it was a piece of rock (no interest in biting it), then the nori wobbles a bit the blenny gets scared and leaves again.

Is there anything else I could do?
I had trouble with my lawnmower blenny at first, but I bought spirinula flakes and spirinula brine frozen. After a while he started to eat. Now, he grazes, eats Nori sheets, pellets, brine, mysis....basically anything. I'm surprised he can swim sometimes. He went from being shy to feirce. One of my favorites ❤. A small fish with a big attitude.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble with my lawnmower blenny at first, but I bought spirinula flakes and spirinula brine frozen. After a while he started to eat. Now, he grazes, eats Nori sheets, pellets, brine, mysis....basically anything. I'm surprised he can swim sometimes. He went from being shy to feirce. One of my favorites ❤. A small fish with a big attitude.
Even though I let my tank get dirty with algae again.. he unfortunately passed a few weeks ago... He stoppped being intrested in grazing and grew really weak..

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! I am so sorry . If you really want a lawnmower blenny, don't give up. I had the same thing happen with my first. I was hesitant about my second, but he turned out great! Good luck and my apologies again.

Back