Can't get nutrients up to save my life...

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I can't get my nutrient levels up even a little. Tank is 29g breeder, no sump, no skimmer , no macro algae, no filtration of any kind. I've been doing a 25% water change every week, but will likely go down to a couple of gallons/week. I have 5 small fish in the tank: pair of clowns, pair of gobies and a juvenile red coris wrasse (I would imagine that's plenty of bio load...?). Miscellaneous cuc; a couple trochus, hermits, cleaner shrimp, purple pincushion urchin. Feeding two to three times per day (includes half cube of PE mysis and PE pellet food). The left half of the tank has a good amount of GHA, which I actually covered with a cardboard cut out for the last week in the hopes it would stop it from consuming any available nitrates/phosphates. I believe the other half of the tank is GHA free due to much better flow. I REALLY don't want to dose nitrate/phosphate and adding more food than I am already just seems wasteful. My most recent strategy was adding the pincushion urchin hoping it would mow through the GHA, but of course it hasn't touched it since adding to the tank. no corals, just one bta. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducing white light and removing the GHA by hand is your best bet. The GHA is where all of your nutrients are going.

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducing white light and removing the GHA by hand is your best bet. The GHA is where all of your nutrients are going.
Will the gha consume nutrients even though it’s not getting light?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much light is required by them. Your tank is still really new and you're in the rollercoaster of the ugly phase. Remove what you can by hand and don't let nutrients get too high.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 fish in a newer tank with no filtration with lots of feeding means there's no way nutrients aren't getting in your system. They are being consumed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not for long. Algae cannot grow without light, and so has no ongoing need for nutrients in the dark.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First toss a turbo snail in there. Some algaes they won't touch. Others they devour. The faster the algae grows the more turbos tend to like it.

With no corals try Vibrant at 4x the dose. Can't hurt anything.

Last, pull a chunk of rock out per day thats full of algae, pour some hydrogen peroxide on it, let it sit for 5 minutes, and put it back in the tank. This kicks the toughest nuisance algae in the butt. And after a day or two it will turn grey and start dieing.

And stop feeding 3x a day.

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First toss a turbo snail in there. Some algaes they won't touch. Others they devour. The faster the algae grows the more turbos tend to like it.

With no corals try Vibrant at 4x the dose. Can't hurt anything.

Last, pull a chunk of rock out per day thats full of algae, pour some hydrogen peroxide on it, let it sit for 5 minutes, and put it back in the tank. This kicks the toughest nuisance algae in the butt. And after a day or two it will turn grey and start dieing.

And stop feeding 3x a day.
Do you think dosing vibrant at higher than recommended concentrations will negatively impact the BTA?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think dosing vibrant at higher than recommended concentrations will negatively impact the BTA?
Going to be really tough keeping a BTA in that new of a system. They need stability most of all and new tanks don't provide that.

Back