Cant get rid of ammonia

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Just checking I'm new to this. I just started in August so I'm still learning.
You are going to get lots of advice. My advice is to get a good alkalinity test kit like a Hanna checker. Then do a 10% water change once a week with your favorite salt mix. Check your tank’s alkalinity at that time just before the water change. If your alkalinity is between 7 and 11 dKH, don’t add any chemicals to your tank. This should work for a long time. I also highly recommend quarantine of all animals before going in your main tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get lots of advice. My advice is to get a good alkalinity test kit like a Hanna checker. Then do a 10% water change once a week with your favorite salt mix. Check your tank’s alkalinity at that time just before the water change. If your alkalinity is between 7 and 11 dKH, don’t add any chemicals to your tank. This should work for a long time. I also highly recommend quarantine of all animals before going in your main tank. Good luck!
I pretty much do exactly that. I use red sea reef salt and hardly ever dose my tank

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and... Welcome to the Hobby!!!
Reefing keeps you on your toes. The best advice I can give is to stay calm when things dont go to planned. That's my biggest challenge.
And don't over look Prime. It is recommended to keep a bottle handy for emergencies.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and... Welcome to the Hobby!!!
Reefing keeps you on your toes. The best advice I can give is to stay calm when things dont go to planned. That's my biggest challenge.
And don't over look Prime. It is recommended to keep a bottle handy for emergencies.
I'll get some prime. I've been using poly filter and it works pretty good

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team can we get an update here.
I use this as critical reading in my cycling thread, wanted to get an update see how things turned out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back