Can't get tank back to 78 degrees

Loring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have an EVO 13.5 with a 1.0 sicce pump and the 1st chamber intank filter thing. I have an Aqueon 100 watt heater in the third chamber with the pump and my top off. Historically my tank usually runs at 78.4 to 78.6 degrees. The last few days I have noticed it up to 79 degrees and this morning it was showing 79.3 and the heater was on. So thinking something is wrong with the heater I go and buy a brand new one and put in in the third chamber. I have two thermometers in the third chamber reading 79 degrees and I plug the brand new heater in and it turns on! now the chamber is reading 79.3 again. I tried just unplugging the heater completely and the tank went back to 78.4. I'm completely stumped as to why two heaters are turning on when the water is reading 79 degrees.

Any thoughts perhaps. thinking either both heaters are garbage or both thermometers. If anyone has a suggestion on an adjustable heater perhaps that they knows will fit in the third chamber with the pump?

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I get a new heater I run the bucket test on it. Throw it in a bucket with a pump and check it with another thermometer. Typically they are off a couple degrees so I dial them up or down according to my thermometer and not their internal one.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have an EVO 13.5 with a 1.0 sicce pump and the 1st chamber intank filter thing. I have an Aqueon 100 watt heater in the third chamber with the pump and my top off. Historically my tank usually runs at 78.4 to 78.6 degrees. The last few days I have noticed it up to 79 degrees and this morning it was showing 79.3 and the heater was on. So thinking something is wrong with the heater I go and buy a brand new one and put in in the third chamber. I have two thermometers in the third chamber reading 79 degrees and I plug the brand new heater in and it turns on! now the chamber is reading 79.3 again. I tried just unplugging the heater completely and the tank went back to 78.4. I'm completely stumped as to why two heaters are turning on when the water is reading 79 degrees.

Any thoughts perhaps. thinking either both heaters are garbage or both thermometers. If anyone has a suggestion on an adjustable heater perhaps that they knows will fit in the third chamber with the pump?
The thermostat on most heaters are not accurate at all. I wouldn’t recommend trusting them especially if it’s the mechanical dial type built into the heater. A separate controller is always a good idea. Doesn’t have to be fancy, people seem to like ink birds but I’ve never used one.

Back