Can't Grow Chaeto

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time refugium user since I moved houses and now have the "new" tank, but just can't grow anything in the fuge. I tried one cluster from algaebarn in the beginning that just over time kinda disintegrated. Figured (although PO4 is near 1 now and Nitrate is around 25), the tank was too "new". So now about 4-5 months later, with those nutrient numbers, I got another batch from algaebarn. This one came with sea lettuce and another macro - once again I feel like it's just starting to wither away.

Here's the light I'm using. Running 17 hours a day, inverse of tank lights. I don't have a powerhead in the sump, and instinctively I feel like it's not getting enough flow since it's stagnant, but a lot of people on the forums here are saying they grow great chaeto without any powerhead or movement, so I'm not sure. Ayy advice?

fuge2.jpg fuge1.jpg

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would back the light down, and slowly ramp up based on growth it could be too much light! I started mine at 5 hours and ramp it up as I see more growth.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that exact same light, and my chaeto growth was just "okay". The light eventually died and I replaced it with this one. The difference has been tremendous! I am now pulling out huge batches of chaeto every 1 or 2 weeks and throwing it away. I also grow red dragon's breath and its growth has multiplied as well.

I do have a 660 gph wavemaker in the fuge. I also ran both lights 24x7, so I don't think too little light is your problem.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that exact same light, and my chaeto growth was just "okay". The light eventually died and I replaced it with this one. The difference has been tremendous! I am now pulling out huge batches of chaeto every 1 or 2 weeks and throwing it away. I also grow red dragon's breath and its growth has multiplied as well.

I do have a 660 gph wavemaker in the fuge. I also ran both lights 24x7, so I don't think too little light is your problem.
Yeah, I was always kind of skeptical at how effective that light I got was. I also am hesitant to say it's the light or too intense as I posted a while ago before when I was running it around 7 hours, and everyone told me it needs more light.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato hmm, its great when it works. I had this same issue.

I upgrades my lights to the plant growing vipraspectra and noticed better growth. I also carbon dosed. It wasnt until about the 1 month mark that I noticed awesome growth from my cheato and now my nutrients have bottemed out. It was mostly once i got my nitrates down with carbon dosing it really starting to take off.

I dont know enough about this plant to give any proper explanation. This is what worked for me and i had same problem. Kept dieing

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge has live rock to within 2 inches of surface, blanket of chaeto on top. Chaeto doubles every month.
Your light and other nutrients are fine. Flow is not important. Par is important.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge has live rock to within 2 inches of surface, blanket of chaeto on top. Chaeto doubles every month.
Your light and other nutrients are fine. Flow is not important. Par is important.
Speaking of par, my cheato get about 600-800 par if this also helps the user

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you suggest I do to improve growth?

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time refugium user since I moved houses and now have the "new" tank, but just can't grow anything in the fuge. I tried one cluster from algaebarn in the beginning that just over time kinda disintegrated. Figured (although PO4 is near 1 now and Nitrate is around 25), the tank was too "new". So now about 4-5 months later, with those nutrient numbers, I got another batch from algaebarn. This one came with sea lettuce and another macro - once again I feel like it's just starting to wither away.

Here's the light I'm using. Running 17 hours a day, inverse of tank lights. I don't have a powerhead in the sump, and instinctively I feel like it's not getting enough flow since it's stagnant, but a lot of people on the forums here are saying they grow great chaeto without any powerhead or movement, so I'm not sure. Ayy advice?

fuge2.jpg fuge1.jpg
I mixed my Chaeto with floating bio balls (like plastic) and it helps keep the macro together.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn’t grow under the Red Lights, but grows like crazy under a light that’s either 12,000 K or 20,000 K. Basically a Led Flood Light.

Back