Can't out run the sticks, you can only hide

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, I promised myself I would only do softies and maybe lps but here I am year later, setting up par and lights for sticks..... they are just so so nice, the colonies are fantastic, I'm falling in love with them now....
Just do it ! It’s mostly all keeping it stable . Like really stable. Mostly dkh.get Hannah. Salifert for calcium. Don’t let nutrients go to zero either. I tried my first sps 4 months ago and still with me ! I’m started with kalk for dosing. Look it into it. I just mix it with my ato rodi water Container.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, I promised myself I would only do softies and maybe lps but here I am year later, setting up par and lights for sticks..... they are just so so nice, the colonies are fantastic, I'm falling in love with them now....

Oh man, you are going to wish you never did, or at least your bank account wont, getting into sticks is basically saying "I do" to the reefing hobby, hitched for life!

Welcome to the SPS addiction! good luck on your new endeavor!

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do it ! It’s mostly all keeping it stable . Like really stable. Mostly dkh.get Hannah. Salifert for calcium. Don’t let nutrients go to zero either. I tried my first sps 4 months ago and still with me ! I’m started with kalk for dosing. Look it into it. I just mix it with my ato rodi water Container.
I've been at a pretty stable parameters for a while now, I feel that they will be happy. Macros do a good job at keeping nutrients down but not zero, I have stocked the heck up on dosing stuff too because that was my undoing. So I feel pretty confident
Only problem is the lighting, my lights cannot keep SPS so I went and bought a kessil for part of the tank I want SPS in

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, you are going to wish you never did, or at least your bank account wont, getting into sticks is basically saying "I do" to the reefing hobby, hitched for life!

Welcome to the SPS addiction! good luck on your new endeavor!
I'm already feeling it buying a single kessil and for my 150 sitting in the garage I'll need 3 or 4 more of them...........

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already feeling it buying a single kessil and for my 150 sitting in the garage I'll need 3 or 4 more of them...........

Might want to nab some supplemental t5s for your kessils if you are going to get really serious, esp if acropora is going to be your main squeeze.

Just my .02

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to nab some supplemental t5s for your kessils if you are going to get really serious, esp if acropora is going to be your main squeeze.

Just my .02
Alright, I already have two light fixtures running okay par, I'm sure they could keep low light SPS, so it will be two of those and a narrow lens 360

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I already have two light fixtures running okay par, I'm sure they could keep low light SPS, so it will be two of those and a narrow lens 360

You can keep sps under kessils just fine! however, some corals, esp acropora will show issues with shading, many kessil users that get heavy into acropora will add t5s to their setup and report excellent improvements after dping so.

Just food for thought

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep sps under kessils just fine! however, some corals, esp acropora will show issues with shading, many kessil users that get heavy into acropora will add t5s to their setup and report excellent improvements after dping so.

Just food for thought
great, I'll check it out

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I quit sps for a while after a few failures. Buuuuuut, got back in last week or so. All or nothin! Lol
9EA92D53-63EB-4E92-8410-99C407EFD14C.jpeg

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the stick addiction that is acropora. AA (acros anonymous) meetings every 2nd Tuesday of the month. Let me know if you need a spincer to help talk you through coral and equipment uograde purchases. Lol.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the stick addiction that is acropora. AA (acros anonymous) meetings every 2nd Tuesday of the month. Let me know if you need a spincer to help talk you through coral and equipment uograde purchases. Lol.
Where is this meeting at? I'm totally interested.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing about SPS is there are tried and true varieties you can get for $15 to $45 a frag. And if you have a decent local club, frags from hobbyists will be larger and you can sometimes barter and trade vs spending cash. No need to jump in on rainbow Tenuis from the start. Cut your teeth on good looking, time standing varieties like Bubblegum Montipora, PC Rainbow, Strawberry Shortcake, Palmers Blue Millepora and the likes.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing about SPS is there are tried and true varieties you can get for $15 to $45 a frag. And if you have a decent local club, frags from hobbyists will be larger and you can sometimes barter and trade vs spending cash. No need to jump in on rainbow Tenuis from the start. Cut your teeth on good looking, time standing varieties like Bubblegum Montipora, PC Rainbow, Strawberry Shortcake, Palmers Blue Millepora and the likes.
Guy on here is giving me Hawkins for 25 a pop. Hawkins is a dream coral to me, I love the white and blues on them

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back