Can't remove dead fish

Breakingdawn81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma died sometime in the past 24hrs. I saw it alive once yesterday, but since then it been in a very small hole in the rock work, not its usual cave, and definitely not moving. For the past week it has had some kind tail infection, so it isn't a surprise death, but we couldn't catch it to QT either. In order to remove the fish from the tank we'd have to break apart the rock work which we really don't want to do. It's such a small fish that we're wondering if it's ok to let it decompose there. What are the risks, and how could we mitigate them without harming other fish and corals? 20g cube tank, two other fish, and some lps corals.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk is a spike in ammonia, you can migrate this by doing extra water changes and or using products like Prime.
If you are a heavy feeder and your system is use to large amounts of organics the system might be able to handle it on its own but that is hard to say in a 20G... I would increase testing for ammonia and if a spike is detected add some prime and do a water change...

OP
OP
Breakingdawn81

Breakingdawn81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk is a spike in ammonia, you can migrate this by doing extra water changes and or using products like Prime.
If you are a heavy feeder and your system is use to large amounts of organics the system might be able to handle it on its own but that is hard to say in a 20G... I would increase testing for ammonia and if a spike is detected add some prime and do a water change...
Thanks - ammonia and nitrite are usually almost undetectable, and nitrate hovers at 1ppm, so not a high nutrient system. I could test ammonia every day though.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - ammonia and nitrite are usually almost undetectable, and nitrate hovers at 1ppm, so not a high nutrient system. I could test ammonia every day though.
Yeah if you test ammonia everyday and make sure that it does not rise then you should be good. Even in a 20 gallon tank a well established tank should be able to handle the decomposition of a single small fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A royal gramma dying and decomposing in an established 20g isn't going to cause any problems directly - but my worry is: what did it die from and is that issue going to harm other fish in the tank?

Jay

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal read my mind.... we're all overlooking the cause of death here.
What other fish are in the tank? Keep an eye on those for signs of illness and treat accordingly.
If you don't have some, get some dwarf cerith snails. They are itty bitty and they do a good job of getting in those small spots to clean. Also, pods - big, fat, hungry pods.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is zero risk of sustained ammonia spike, leave it.

its harmless, the ratios that apply here. we've already tested whole tangs left to degrade on seneye, its fine these tiny fish. where the wide variation in opinion comes from is using non digital ammonia tests...heck we can't even get a third of those to say a five year running reef can control its ammonia much less after a tiny insult.

reefs have ammonia shock absorber systems built in them and without any ramp up time, the bacteria in place can handle a massive jolt of waste. mo nature has this designed for a reason, its also very useful in aquariums.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back