Can't seem to get clear water in Fluval EVO 13.5

callumw98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded the filter in my EVO 13.5 to an in tank media basket in chamber 1 (filter floss on top, purigen and carbon in the middle, and biomedia at bottle, more biomedia in chamber 2), and I'm disappointed that the water looks just like it did before with the stock filter. I do regular water changes once a week. I've had a bit of an algae issue i'm fighting, and im not really sure what else to do. The water is not crazy dirty, just not crystal clear like I would have hoped with upgrading to the In tank media basket. I've even sealed the hole in chamber 2.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're running mechanical filtration and carbon and your water is still not clearing up, you may actually be dealing with a bacterial bloom that is clouding the water column. I had a similar issue in my 10 gallon budget build tank. I kept replacing the filter floss and running fresh carbon but it never cleared the water up. It wasn't until I did a water change using some of the water from my 40 gallon established tank that the bacterial bloom dissipated and the water column became crystal clear. My suspicion is the water from my more established tank brought in some beneficial bacteria that was able to outcompete the bacterial bloom in my younger 10 gallon tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back