OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will have to order a couple of new micron cartridges for the Magnum HOT filter. Hope they still sell them. For now I think I'll try using felt pads cut to size ( i have 2 sizes 50 & 100 micron) and put it under the polyester pad and just keep an eye on it for the next few days to make sure i can replace it b4 they completely clog.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will have to order a couple of new micron cartridges for the Magnum HOT filter. Hope they still sell them. For now I think I'll try using felt pads cut to size ( i have 2 sizes 50 & 100 micron) and put it under the polyester pad and just keep an eye on it for the next few days to make sure i can replace it b4 they completely clog.

I would seriously try that DIY water polisher in the video......... Curious what is the diameter of the filter pads (the .5 micron)

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all of the questions and potential answers - the thing that confuses me is how the sump is so clear. If it were bacteria - due to nutrients - the sump should be just as cloudy (IME). Another thing to consider is going back to filter socks.
Please don't be sorry. I appreciate all your and everyone else's help. So ask & advise away!!

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously try that DIY water polisher in the video......... Curious what is the diameter of the filter pads (the .5 micron)

Theres no 'diameter'. It's one big roll - 4'L & 2'w - need to cut to fit in media basket. It's pretty snug fit bc i made an acrylic template for the pads to cut.

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain. I'm not familiar with that product. How would it clear up? Do u need corals - i don't have any yet. THX

Zeovit Coral Snow acts like a catalyst for their bacteria to be more efficient, I believe it also has a binding agent that binds macro molecules that can help it pull out in protein skimmer.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zeovit Coral Snow acts like a catalyst for their bacteria to be more efficient, I believe it also has a binding agent that binds macro molecules that can help it pull out in protein skimmer.
its a coral food - if there is no coral in the tank - I cant see this as beneficial - but I have little (no) experience with it. Its not mentioned as a water clarifier on their site.

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
""Coral Snow is a liquid secondary biological facilitator for elements like B-Balance or Potassium-Iodide/Fluoride Concentrate. Compatibel with all elements, also for Amino Acid and Vitalizer. You can dose 1 to max. 4 ml Coral Snow per 100L/25gallons tank water daily.Coral Snow neutralizes undesirable acids and is a solution against e.g. slime algae and cyano bacteria.
Therefore take Corals Snow and add 1-2 drops of CyanoClean per 100L/25 gallons tank water daily.The cloudiness in the water is harmless for all fish as well as sensitive coral""

- I've used it in my tank when running a pure zeovit system. It acts like a buffer, increases biological activity of the bacteria, and I feel like it has a binding element in it on how it takes care of Cyano/Dino.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a coral food - if there is no coral in the tank - I cant see this as beneficial - but I have little (no) experience with it. Its not mentioned as a water clarifier on their site.
Coral snow not coral food at all.
It will help clear the water for sure. It's a product that bind sustains in the water column then skimmer take it out.
I use coral snow on weekly basis. Great product.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Carbon does wonders as does Chemi-pure pouch

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
""Coral Snow is a liquid secondary biological facilitator for elements like B-Balance or Potassium-Iodide/Fluoride Concentrate. Compatibel with all elements, also for Amino Acid and Vitalizer. You can dose 1 to max. 4 ml Coral Snow per 100L/25gallons tank water daily.Coral Snow neutralizes undesirable acids and is a solution against e.g. slime algae and cyano bacteria.
Therefore take Corals Snow and add 1-2 drops of CyanoClean per 100L/25 gallons tank water daily.The cloudiness in the water is harmless for all fish as well as sensitive coral""

- I've used it in my tank when running a pure zeovit system. It acts like a buffer, increases biological activity of the bacteria, and I feel like it has a binding element in it on how it takes care of Cyano/Dino.
I agree - it might work 'in this system'. I would not recommend it in a non-coral system. Are there many people using Zeovit with no corals? (note im not being sarcastic - I merely dont know that much about it)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Frankly - reading this - and having seen multiple tanks that don't use this - that are crystal clear - I'm not sure this is a good solution for the OP - of course they can choose. It sounds like mumbo jumbo (unless you are using all of their supplements ) - and even then - no offense - it sounds like mumbo jumbo.

I mean I could say - go to petco - and buy the 'water clarifier' that flocculates particulates in the tank - and that would be just as valid or?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank isn't clear it is air in the water.

No I do not use filter socks. I put one in, noticed no difference and the second time I had to change it I didn't put one in again. Just more work for me.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your Nero 5 pump running between 35 x 70% is kicking up your Fiji Pink sand up into the water column. Fiji Pink is some pretty fine stuff.

Also of note, people are confusing coral snow as a food product vs KZ Coral Snow calcium carbonate binder/water clarifier. The stuff definitely works to bind suspended particulates in the water column to be skimmed out or caught up in socks / felt pads.

Read more about it and cheaper alternatives to the KZ product here...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity.211722/

Another option is to use a Marineland diatom filter to clear the water up. Here’s a good video by our very own @reefwiser on how to use one...

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon does wonders as does Chemi-pure pouch
I've been using seachem matrix carbon in media reactor for weeks now. Tried chemipure blue several months ago, it dropped my pH from 9.4 to ~6.7 in 4 days. Know a lot of people won't use it in a sw/reef tank.
Was going to use my old work horse Magnum h.o.t. 250 filter with micron cartridge but realized I was missing a part and went online to buy a replacement but nowhere to be found since they stopped making that version & have a new one now that's internal. It uses same micron cartridge so will be getting it later today and give it a try. Was only $45 on Amazon.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly - reading this - and having seen multiple tanks that don't use this - that are crystal clear - I'm not sure this is a good solution for the OP - of course they can choose. It sounds like mumbo jumbo (unless you are using all of their supplements ) - and even then - no offense - it sounds like mumbo jumbo.

I mean I could say - go to petco - and buy the 'water clarifier' that flocculates particulates in the tank - and that would be just as valid or?
Have tried seachem clarity several times, didn't help.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your Nero 5 pump running between 35 x 70% is kicking up your Fiji Pink sand up into the water column. Fiji Pink is some pretty fine stuff.

Also of note, people are confusing coral snow as a food product vs KZ Coral Snow calcium carbonate binder/water clarifier. The stuff definitely works to bind suspended particulates in the water column to be skimmed out or caught up in socks / felt pads.

Read more about it and cheaper alternatives to the KZ product here...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity.211722/

Another option is to use a Marineland diatom filter to clear the water up. Here’s a good video by our very own @reefwiser on how to use one...

As mentioned earlier post when I 1st got the 2 nero 5 pumps I used at 70% & was blowing the sand around a little so I reduced the flow to 37% during day & 24% @ night, both are in anti sync mode. Plus topped off sandbed with a coarser sand of Caribsea arag-alive so no blowing around anymore.

Back