Can't seem to get my water crystal clear

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to use a Marineland diatom filter to clear the water up.

Personal experience, it works well. I have the newer in-tank version, but the idea is the same with the HOB version.
Charge the "Micron" cartridge with ~6 Tbsp DE Powder and you'll be clear in no time.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Fiji pink (very fine oolytic) sand before and for me there was always some type of small particles in the water, especially when the pumps were on higher power. I think you're getting a combination of sand/dust particles being suspended by the pumps and by your fish. It doesn't matter if the sand is pre-washed, there will always be fine sediment/dust in it. Using the poly filter padding, as another User mentioned, should help quite a bit. My only other suggestion is to try dosing some bacteria for a few days and see if that helps to clear it up. The tank is still young and in my experience it's hard to get really clear water until the tank has fully matured. Always seems like this takes about a year.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Fiji pink (very fine oolytic) sand before and for me there was always some type of small particles in the water, especially when the pumps were on higher power. I think you're getting a combination of sand/dust particles being suspended by the pumps and by your fish. It doesn't matter if the sand is pre-washed, there will always be fine sediment/dust in it. Using the poly filter padding, as another User mentioned, should help quite a bit. My only other suggestion is to try dosing some bacteria for a few days and see if that helps to clear it up. The tank is still young and in my experience it's hard to get really clear water until the tank has fully matured. Always seems like this takes about a year.
Thanks. As for dosing bacteria, every 2 weeks I dose Bioclean by Probidio. It's been used in Europe for years and works well. Contains special bacterial strains that control NH3, NO2, & NO3.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. As for dosing bacteria, every 2 weeks I dose Bioclean by Probidio. It's been used in Europe for years and works well. Contains special bacterial strains that control NH3, NO2, & NO3.

You could consider vodka dosing... I've heard a lot of good things. Haven't done it yet myself but may try it in the fall (summer is minimal tank work!). :0)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could consider vodka dosing... I've heard a lot of good things. Haven't done it yet myself but may try it in the fall (summer is minimal tank work!). :0)

If people think its a 'bacterial bloom' - to me it doesnt make sense to add 'more bacteria' or 'more bacteria food'? But maybe I'm missing something. If you want to try the coral snow precipitation thing great - IMHO - you need more filtration somehow (or more effective filtration). The diatom one is a good option - but it needs to be changed often (clogs) - and that an be a hassle. And to the OP - if you're adding bacteria - I would stop.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people think its a 'bacterial bloom' - to me it doesnt make sense to add 'more bacteria' or 'more bacteria food'? But maybe I'm missing something. If you want to try the coral snow precipitation thing great - IMHO - you need more filtration somehow (or more effective filtration). The diatom one is a good option - but it needs to be changed often (clogs) - and that an be a hassle. And to the OP - if you're adding bacteria - I would stop.

It depends on which type of bacteria comprise the bloom. I had a bloom just under two years ago (super cloudy) and I got rid of it by dosing bacteria. Took about a day or two to completely clear up.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also make your own coral snow for super cheap and it will have the same effect.

One of my buddies on another forum has a looong thread about it. I have used it in my nano that was constantly cloudy even during a cycle and had no ill effect and will still work. As other have said it works as a bonding agent and pulls particulates out of the water column and can be pulled out via water changes or skimming.

Its a cheap as very effective way to clear your water up,either Zeovit's product or diy. Either one will work just fine.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity.211722/

Kris B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take 2 white cups, one with tank water and one with rodi water and put them side by side. What color is your tank water vs ro water?

Next thing to do is try turning one off and one to a very low setting and leave it for half a day and see if it clears up. It may be the Fiji sand.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's definitely a filtration issue with some microbubbles. Problem is i have a bubble stopper sponge on the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer and see no bubbles in the sump area, just in the tank. I also installed the Magnum internal filter with micron cartridge about 1.5hrs. ago and noticed the water getting a clearer. 1st pic is magnum filter. This is why they did away with the Magnum H.O.T. 250 canister filter. This new one appears easier to use and don't have to worry about any leakage.
Now what i noticed with the media baskets there is dt water bypassing and i think it's the plastic lip of the basket up against lip of overflow there is some tiny space for water to flow down without passing thru pad.
2nd pic my finger shows where i put some filter floss to seal that area. 3rd pic is filter pad after 5 days in basket. Looks pretty clean !! So the plan is : changed pads , put new one in and underneath that a 50micron pad. Along with filter floss sealing area that i think ( hopefully) is bypassing as mentioned b4, and see what the pad looks like tomorrow AM. If water is still somehow bypassing pad in basket then the only thing i can think of is to get a custom made filter sock & holder ( RATS!) to fit that area so no water bypasses. Anyone know where i could get this? Any company that would do this once i gave measurements? **The media baskets are the full size ones from IM to use in SR-60, SR-80 tanks with rr sump. As mentioned b4 had the chamber made to custom fit the measurements of the baskets.

20190523_215148[1].jpg

20190523_212959[1].jpg

20190523_214121[1].jpg

YMAonthisreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A much cheaper alternative to coral snow: buy food grade calcium carbonate powder. I bought 100% & mixed with RODI. The calcium carbonate acts as a binding mechanism for particles. Also, it doesn’t affect calcium levels. Basically it binds nasties up large enough to be filtered or skimmed out.

If it is a bacteria problem, try dosing phytoplankton and adding various pods. They are an underrated clean up crew. I started putting in pods and dosing phytoplankton and my tank got super clear. Any time to much nasties start floating around I shake up my calcium carbonate bottle and give it a lil squeezy poo and water so clear I I could pass it off as a tank of air.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTM did NO3 test with Nyos test kit = 0ppm ( no color just clear)! PO4 with Hanna checker ULR = 0.007! Wow. Haven't done a WC in almost 2 weeks. Glad i don't have any coral!! Looks like i'll start feeding my 2 fish & blood shrimp a 2nd meal per day.
I think the reason is the Probidio Bioclean. FYI : 2 ampules , one is the bacteria that eats up the nitrogen called BioDigest and the 2nd is food for the bacteria called Bioptum, since the bacteria is dormant in the ampules ( I think they add something? to keep bacteria dormant but healthy. They are glass and u break one end put over tank & then break other and it empties out. This stuff really works! Maybe stop doing it every 2 weeks as instructed and do only 1x per month or until the NO3 & PO4 starts going up. Here is link to their website if anyone is interested : https://www.prodibio.com/maintenance-aquarium-biological-clean-water-bioclean-care-treat

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A much cheaper alternative to coral snow: buy food grade calcium carbonate powder. I bought 100% & mixed with RODI. The calcium carbonate acts as a binding mechanism for particles. Also, it doesn’t affect calcium levels. Basically it binds nasties up large enough to be filtered or skimmed out.

If it is a bacteria problem, try dosing phytoplankton and adding various pods. They are an underrated clean up crew. I started putting in pods and dosing phytoplankton and my tank got super clear. Any time to much nasties start floating around I shake up my calcium carbonate bottle and give it a lil squeezy poo and water so clear I I could pass it off as a tank of air.

Thanks for tip. But if water is still somehow bypassing filter pads it probably won't help. Already been using copepods & phytoplankton to feed them ( www.copepods.com) for last couple months. Does it have to be calcium carb powder? Recently bought , but haven't set up yet the new Kamoer single head dosing pump with kalkwasser due to Ph struggles to hit 8.0 with lights on, and that's after i have hooked up CO2 scrubber to my skimmer! Plus alk is around 6.8 ( using IO salt).

joeyamador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is a pic - cleaned side glass. Notice the slight haze especially if you look at nero 5 pump in distance. *light was ramping down but i think you can still see a slight haze. For turnover = 2 return pumps a little over 500gph each, 2 Nero 5 pumps on anti-sync, flow = max - 37% during day ( equals ~1100gph ea., any higher and sand starts to blow around) ; min - 24% at night.

20190521_225932[1].jpg
Cant really see. Are you running a bare bottom tank? I had issues when I first started my first bare bottom tank due to bacterial blooms when I added fish
.. I added a Uv sterilizer and it went away.. with sand beds check flow,micro bubbles and ive noticed a lot of people starting to run a lot of flow in their sumps which can cause things to stir up and get sent back into display.. run a reactor with filter floss for awhile and that helps too as it polishes the water prior to returning to the main display. Many different ways just need full details of what you're doing. Hope you get it figured out

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant really see. Are you running a bare bottom tank? I had issues when I first started my first bare bottom tank due to bacterial blooms when I added fish
.. I added a Uv sterilizer and it went away.. with sand beds check flow,micro bubbles and ive noticed a lot of people starting to run a lot of flow in their sumps which can cause things to stir up and get sent back into display.. run a reactor with filter floss for awhile and that helps too as it polishes the water prior to returning to the main display. Many different ways just need full details of what you're doing. Hope you get it figured out
Thanks. Running with a little over 3" sandbed. Fuji pink sand & about 1/2" of coarser sand - arag-alive, on top to stop Fuji pink from blowing around. Definitely micro bubbles in DT, but don't see any in rr sump. Weird! Have a sponge on output of skimmer to stop micro bubbles. Hate to keep shining flashlight in tank but the internal filter w/micron cartridge is definitely clearing the water.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Magnum internal filter w/micron cartridge has done a great job clearing up the water! Pic #1 & 2, taken from side of tank. *stuff floating around is shrimp that i fed them a few minutes earlier. Will take it out tomorrow and hopefully the improvements i mentioned in post #69 to media baskets will continue to keep water clear. Only thing the keeps me puzzled is how micro bubbles are in DT but not sump area. Making up another batch of IO and will do a 25% WC either Sunday/Monday. A big thank you to everyone who helped! :)
**PLEASE HAVE A SAFE & GREAT HOLIDAY WEEKEND!!

20190524_210151[1].jpg

20190524_210225[1].jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back