Can't seem to get rid of GHA

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar situation, but even lower phosphates and nitrates. Less than 1, and .03, respectively. I don’t think it’s being sucked up by the turf/GHA either, because it’s just a bunch of small patches. Really not that much, but man does it annoy me.

I think I’m going to resort to Fluconazole, but I hate how it kills Alk consumption.

It’s also nearly impossible to pull off (I think it’s turf algae).

Does anyone know if GHA/turf algae will just fade away if nutrients are kept low? Mine doesn’t seem to be, but maybe I need to give it more time?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar situation, but even lower phosphates and nitrates. Less than 1, and .03, respectively. I don’t think it’s being sucked up by the turf/GHA either, because it’s just a bunch of small patches. Really not that much, but man does it annoy me.

I think I’m going to resort to Fluconazole, but I hate how it kills Alk consumption.

Does anyone know if GHA/turf algae will just fade away if nutrients are kept low? Mine doesn’t seem to be, but maybe I need to give it more time?

Have you tried h202 dosing?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried h202 dosing?
That’s an interesting thought. I haven’t. Just turn off all pumps and squirt some on it?

I used H2O2 in my freshwater days, but it was easier to lower the water level far enough to spray it on directly. Is it as effective when you squirt it under water? Also, what dose, and do you dilute it?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an interesting thought. I haven’t. Just turn off all pumps and squirt some on it?

I used H2O2 in my freshwater days, but it was easier to lower the water level far enough to spray it on directly. Is it as effective when you squirt it under water? Also, what dose, and do you dilute it?

I had a small amount of turf algae, and cyano. I dose 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. 1ml per 10 gallons, twice daily (night and morning when lights are off). Have seen a massive reduction and its only been two weeks. @brandon429 is your man. I believe if you turn the flow off and spray the hair/turf algae it will be a bit more effective. Just be careful if you have any shrimp, they are more sensitive to it and can kill them. Being in the water column alone should help, at least from what I've read.

OP
OP
X

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a fuge/ats/algae reactor

Every strand of gha grown there is one less growing in your DT. Just make sure yiu have good enough lighting in the fuge/ats/reactor and appropriate size
I have an ATS that grows a lot of stuff. But it doesn't seem to prevent the GHA/turf algae.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small amount of turf algae, and cyano. I dose 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. 1ml per 10 gallons, twice daily (night and morning when lights are off). Have seen a massive reduction and its only been two weeks. @brandon429 is your man. I believe if you turn the flow off and spray the hair/turf algae it will be a bit more effective. Just be careful if you have any shrimp, they are more sensitive to it and can kill them. Being in the water column alone should help, at least from what I've read.
Thank you! I’ll give this a shot. No shrimp!

OP
OP
X

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...pics as requested.

03A3ED3A-9362-4711-895A-F659BB9B060C.jpeg
3341255A-FFC5-44E7-A453-AB1E8A0ECF6F.jpeg
D0D185C4-CF02-4A67-B914-0EAE74D42092.jpeg
6726828D-FC02-4078-A80B-ACC7DC2F066A.jpeg

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried h2o2 dosing and it did nothing for my tank, gha and bubble algae still there and growing daily...I tried that cause I was hesitant to use vibrant , well I went to vinrant and in 3 weeks time the tables turn and algae was starting to disappear

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried h2o2 dosing and it did nothing for my tank, gha and bubble algae still there and growing daily...I tried that cause I was hesitant to use vibrant , well I went to vinrant and in 3 weeks time the tables turn and algae was starting to disappear
Did you target dose with pumps off, or broadcast?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are already getting lots of competing advice, so I will only add two thoughts.

My experience with GHA was that it grew when my first tank was young, probably by overfeeding. After that tank matured and I got it in what I think of as ‘balance’ I was able to get it under control. This took 12 months and a couple of doses of Fluconazole. When I setup my larger second tank 2 years later the GHA bloomed at about week 3 but by week 12 was pretty much gone. I put this down to my understanding of how a tank matures and what I should do. So take your time and ‘listen’ to your tank.

My second thought is that your fish and CUC are imperative. You may always have GHA, I certainly do, but it’s kept to invisible levels by my fish (Blennies, Tangs) and CUC. For the CUC the one snail I recommend are Money Cowries. After I knocked down my GHA in my first tank the Cowries absolutely demolished it. It was like watching a lawnmower go through an overgrown field. When the GHA was vigorous the Cowries didn’t do much. When it was dying they left clean rock in their wake.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast with pumps on. Started with a lower dose and worked my way up..
It seems to be significantly more effective when directed directly onto the spots with GHA. Broadcasting it, it just dissipates and turns back into H2O almost immediately.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did for my GHA problem. I took a paper towel, scraped most of it off the rocks, and let my hermit crabs and emerald crabs do the rest. Haven't had any algae since.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be significantly more effective when directed directly onto the spots with GHA. Broadcasting it, it just dissipates and turns back into H2O almost immediately.

Lights accelerate the dissipation of H202. That is why its recommended to use at night when lights are off and in the morning when lights are off.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Buy a conch. Will be gone in a week

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back