Can't seem to get rid of GHA

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then why did you recommend one for hair algae? Haha
I was replying to you saying you have turf algae..I had both GHA on both my rockwork and on the sand bed. Conches are great for cleaning up the sand bed. Mine ate all the GHA there. Unfortunately they don't jump onto rock work. I did find mine on a lower rock tho, so never say never lol

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was replying to you saying you have turf algae..I had both GHA on both my rockwork and on the sand bed. Conches are great for cleaning up the sand bed. Mine ate all the GHA there. Unfortunately they don't jump onto rock work. I did find mine on a lower rock tho, so never say never lol
Oh, interesting. Thankfully, (knock on wood) I’ve never had GHA or turf algae on the sand. The turf algae is on my rocks.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, interesting. Thankfully, (knock on wood) I’ve never had GHA or turf algae on the sand. The turf algae is on my rocks.
I'd rather deal with that than cyano or dinos ;) Im actually allowing a lil GHA grow in my tank.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...pics as requested.

03A3ED3A-9362-4711-895A-F659BB9B060C.jpeg
3341255A-FFC5-44E7-A453-AB1E8A0ECF6F.jpeg
D0D185C4-CF02-4A67-B914-0EAE74D42092.jpeg
6726828D-FC02-4078-A80B-ACC7DC2F066A.jpeg
Just saw these pics. I dosed vibrant and it worked for GHA. But I stopped after 4 doses. It dropped my nitrates from 10 to 1.7 and my phos undetectable. And I dosed HALF the recommended dose for CLEAN TANK.

I'm praying my low nitrates don't cause the 2 names I will leave unspoken lol

Buy a conch to stir up the sand bed. Manually remove GHA. I used eye lash twirlies. Siphon the cyano off.

If you dose vibrant, get in then get out lol I actually left a little GHA on a rock. I'd rather battle that than the devil that starts with D.

I'd love to stay away from chemicals --- only as a last resort.

OP
OP
X

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed fluconazole on Monday, when would be a good time to put my scrubber back online? I've decided NOT to do a third dose and continue to do water changes and use PhosBan to try to get my parameters correct. I may look into Vibrant as well.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed fluconazole on Monday, when would be a good time to put my scrubber back online? I've decided NOT to do a third dose and continue to do water changes and use PhosBan to try to get my parameters correct. I may look into Vibrant as well.
Be careful with vibrant. I dosed half the recommended dose for CLEAN TANKS (every 2 weeks) it tanked my nutrients. Stopped using after 4 doses. It worked tho. But now I'm afraid it'll caused dinos and cyano. I pray everyday I dont

radsdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff works. Dose 150% of recommended dosing for best results. 2-3 weeks it's gone. Might be awhile before the scrubber works after dosing.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling GHA for a few months now and I cannot seem to get the upper hand in this battle. I've used fluconazole two times (dosed for 100g) in the past month with no luck. Should I go for another round or look into something different?

Current Parameters: Reefer 250 (3+ years old)
NO3: 4
PO4: .12
Alk: 7.9
Ca: 410
Mg. 1300

I'm also getting cyano bad too, but really want to address one thing at a time since nothing good happens when you speed things up in this hobby.
Vibrant is an algae eating bacteria, takes 6 weeks. Will also eat chaeto.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back